Viking Star Explorer Suites

Tiki1947

We just booked the Sep 18, 2016 sailing of the Viking Star, In the Wake of the Vikings, crossing the North Atlantic, Bergen to Montreal via Iceland and Greenland. We got the last available cabin, a forward Explorer Suite on Deck 3. Hadn't planned on a suite but why not splurge. Its very hard to tell from the state room layout and the deck plans how the suite is situated, what the view will be from inside and how accommodating the deck will be. Windows from inside look out onto the bow of the ship and the heliport. Will there be passengers walking by? crew members? Private verandah appears to be off the side of the ship with perhaps some wind protection. Is there a railing or a solid partition? What's the movement like in rough seas? It is the North Atlantic end of September. Finally, the theater is below us. Will it be noisy at night? Any insights and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Opps. Hit send by accident. I have looked at your room from the dock below (my view limited by the bow of the boat). My guess is your view of the ocean in front is limited not by any walls near your stateroom but by the walls that surround the bow itself. I will try to get a higher vantage point to see more details. I am pretty sure there is no public access on the bow.

Thanks utexplorer. That confirms my concern. I Watson the Viking Homeland cruise last year. It is a beautiful ship, isn't it! I was looking forward to the Transatlantic to have more days at sea so that I could really enjoy the ship. Have a great cruise and I'm interested in whatever else you might be able to tell me

We just booked the Sep 18, 2016 sailing of the Viking Star, In the Wake of the Vikings, crossing the North Atlantic, Bergen to Montreal via Iceland and Greenland. We got the last available cabin, a forward Explorer Suite on Deck 3. Hadn't planned on a suite but why not splurge. Its very hard to tell from the state room layout and the deck plans how the suite is situated, what the view will be from inside and how accommodating the deck will be. Windows from inside look out onto the bow of the ship and the heliport. Will there be passengers walking by? crew members? Private verandah appears to be off the side of the ship with perhaps some wind protection. Is there a railing or a solid partition? What's the movement like in rough seas? It is the North Atlantic end of September. Finally, the theater is below us. Will it be noisy at night? Any insights and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Tiki1947,

We were on the Viking Star last fall for a cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona. We also were on Deck 3 and in an Explorer Suite but at the opposite end of the ship. Somewhat surprisingly, we found that a cabin at the stern of the ship was great.

From studying the ships videos, pictures, cabin layouts and deck diagrams it appears that your forward view will be only through your front windows. Your veranda has a good side view but little or no forward view due to the steel bulkhead on the forward side. The wood (teak?) railings on the veranda are above waist high but have clear plexi-glass panels below the railing.

The promanade is on the second deck so you won't have any passengers outside your windows or veranda. As for sound, the Restaurant was just below us and we couldn't hear it at all. We can't speak for the theater below your cabin but don't think it will cause you problems.

We did hear machinery sounds (winches?) from two decks below us for a half hour or so before docking or leaving port. It wasn't too loud and served as a reminder for us to go outside on the veranda to watch as we docked or got underway. We had a number of beautiful days for sail-away get-togethers we enjoyed with other couples that we met on the cruise. We suspect that you will hear some machinery noises too since you are so far forward and nearly over the bow stations where the docking lines are secured.

We loved the Star and are looking forward to our cruise aboard the Viking Sea in 2 months from Barcelona to Bergen.

Richard and Margie

I figured out how to post the photos here, but they had to be resized so they are very small. If you want large photos, email me.

Looking thru the opening in the side of the ship it looks like you have a bar across your windows that may restrict you to your room.:mad: There is absolutely nothing on the front deck of the ship as you can see. I would call Viking and discuss the details with them.

723537417_untitled160229200.jpg.5e5fdfae58d4fc3aa94950cb687686ef.jpg

1921670064_untitled160229201.jpg.b96319b7fa5b7dcbe53112b994000169.jpg

Not sure if you have your cabin number but we were in 3001 on our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise last November. The suite was incredible. I am attaching a picture of the side desk. The bathroom and walk in closet were also incredible. No noise from the Theater below and no adverse rolling although the North Atlantic may be different. We are sailing on Viking Star out of Montreal on Oct. 2nd on the Eastern Seaboard Explorer. Can't wait to get back on board.

image.jpg.d2f40ecc7439a2076af6bd61114e7411.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am also booked in 3001 this August and would like to know more on the size of the cabin. Do you have anymore picture of the cabin interior?

Also what was your favorite part of the ship?

• 4 weeks later...
I am also booked in 3001 this August and would like to know more on the size of the cabin. Do you have anymore picture of the cabin interior?

Also what was your favorite part of the ship?

Sorry for the delay in responding. We have been very busy the last few weeks. I do have more photos but it is not easy to attach them here. Please email me at jdieroff@outlook.com and I will send them to you. We loved the suite. Nice living room and dining room which we used many times for room service breakfast. The side deck was great and well protected. The bathroom and closet were amazing.

Our favorite parts of the ship were Mamsen's and the specialty restaurants. Loved the food! Mamsen's was great for breakfast too and not as busy and crowded as the World Cafe. There are also so many quiet spots around the ship at varioius levels where you can read and relax. We are booked again on the Star this fall for the Eastern Seaboard Explorer and can't wait to get back on board. Enjoy!

image.jpg.f6ae1220aed2a105f0789452d763a47c.jpg