Barcelona Airport to Cruiseport

Hey

I am looking at Mediterranean cruises for next summer or fall on either Princess or Royal Caribbean. We are looking at cruising out of Barcelona and hoping to spend a few days in Amsterdam before the cruise and then flying in for the cruise. Just wondering how far the cruise and airports are from each other. I do know that KLM offers several nonstops (2 hour flight) into Barcelona from Amsterdam and that I will not need to clear customs. Normally I always fly into the embarkation port a day in advance, but I am not sure on this trip.

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions

We are always reticent to fly into any embarkation port the day of a cruise since airlines are not totally reliable and luggage can get delayed. But we have done it with Barcelona (flew in from Dublin) because we our Plan B would have been to catch-up to our ship the following day (Cartegena). And that would be the basis of our advice. If the worst happened and you missed your ship (in Barcelona) could you easily catch-up?

Hank

We are always reticent to fly into any embarkation port the day of a cruise since airlines are not totally reliable and luggage can get delayed. But we have done it with Barcelona (flew in from Dublin) because we our Plan B would have been to catch-up to our ship the following day (Cartegena). And that would be the basis of our advice. If the worst happened and you missed your ship (in Barcelona) could you easily catch-up?

Hank

Thanks

I normally always go in a day in advance, but we also have to deal with a connecting flight or two and often travel a good portion of day to get to the embarkation city. Was just thinking we could stay another day in Amsterdam and then take the early morning flight to BCN. I am just in the early planning stages, so of course nothing is set in stone for us.

Thanks again

Thanks

I normally always go in a day in advance, but we also have to deal with a connecting flight or two and often travel a good portion of day to get to the embarkation city. Was just thinking we could stay another day in Amsterdam and then take the early morning flight to BCN. I am just in the early planning stages, so of course nothing is set in stone for us.

Thanks again

The risk of an early flight from Schipol is minimal so we might even take the chance. But we would emphasize that we have two issues with the airlines. 1. Cancelled or major delays of flights....which is a minimal risk on your kind of flight. 2. Mis-directed luggage which is a bigger concern for us. If luggage gets mis-directed it will likely catch-up the following day. If one is on a cruise that it becomes a real race to see whether the luggage can catch the ship. The cruise lines are often very helpful in working with the airlines, but we like the extra cushion of an extra day before embarkation.

Hank