Riga Port with RCCL?

Riga will be a port of call on our Serenade of the Seas cruise this summer. I understand that our ship will be docking outside of town, near a lumber yard some 30 minutes drive away.

I've asked RCCL's Shore Excursion desk (via email) if they can provide me with information about the cost of the shuttle to town, as well as the drop-off & pick-up location. They said that it was run by a local operation, and they had no information about cost or location. (Kind of hard to believe that SOMEONE at RCCL wouldn't be able to provide this sort of info!)

From what prior cruisers have posted about Riga stops in 2015, the cost was $14, though I'm not clear about whether this is each way or round trip.

If you've been to Riga with RCCL, can you please let me know whether the $14 was each way or round trip, and also where you were dropped off & picked up in old town Riga?

Many thanks!

I dont know the price of the shuttle, but I lived in Riga for 7 years and can confirm that Riga is very easy to do on your own. Taxi is cheap, but I strongly suggest you to ask for the price when you get into the car...

Old Town is rather small and compact.

Edited by RealNorwegianCruiser

Thanks for your response, RealNorwegianCruiser!

When we booked our cruise, our plan was just to walk to town from the cruiseport, which looked to be just a short walk from town. However, I recently found out that we will be at the more distant dock. :-(

Hopefully I will be able to find out more information about transportation cost & location of drop-off before we get to Riga!

I do have another question for you, since you've lived in Riga. Would you recommend we visit the Central Market? I've heard both that it's a "must-do" and that it's not worth the trip. What do you think? It looks like it's not right in the central core of the town, but a bit south. Would walking be our only option, or is there a bus/tram that goes there? We are fit 50-somethings, but Riga is our last port, and we will have done extensive walking in the other ports. Nice to know if there is an alternative!

I do have another question for you, since you've lived in Riga. Would you recommend we visit the Central Market? I've heard both that it's a "must-do" and that it's not worth the trip. What do you think? It looks like it's not right in the central core of the town, but a bit south. Would walking be our only option, or is there a bus/tram that goes there? We are fit 50-somethings, but Riga is our last port, and we will have done extensive walking in the other ports. Nice to know if there is an alternative!

If you are fit 50-somethings, you really do not need to worry about transportation. It is easily walkable from the Old Town. YES, go there. It is one of my favorite places in Riga. Just keep an extra eye on your wallet! Even though Mr. Nils Usakovs (current mayor) got a strong focus on safety for tourists visiting Riga, the Central Market is one of the places where a wallet easily can disappear...

!!

I had the same experience with RCCL.

Still clueless about the Riga Port even though we have only two months left for our departure.

According to a local tour guide, it is hard to book a taxi because that area is restricted.

Looks like we must either buy the shuttle ticket or book the RC Tour in order to get into town.

Hi NickAndysMom,

What are your cruise dates? We are cruising from Stockholm on Serenade on July 3. Curious if we are going to be dealing with this issue in Riga.

We are looking at a tour offered by SPB Tours (https://www.spb-tours.com/index.php?plugin=tour_details&action=inscandinavia&tId=35), which is discounted because that is who we are using for our St. Petersburg tour. But if we are going to be docked close to the city maybe we can do Riga on our own? We are a family of four -- 2 forty-somethings and two teen boys so we get around pretty easily.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

But if we are going to be docked close to the city maybe we can do Riga on our own? We are a family of four -- 2 forty-somethings and two teen boys so we get around pretty easily.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Do it on your own anyway. Riga is very easy to explore on your own, no need to do a tour. Here is the link to the official tourist webpage.

We did this trip last July, Fantastic….

Riga, Yes, buy the ship transfer, sold on board, goes on your sea pass account, but must go to guest services to purchase….$14.00 per person, round trip. (July 2015 price.)

Ship docks in an industrial area, no taxis were permitted in the area.

Shuttle takes you to the edge of the old town, drop off/pick up same location. No need to book an excursion.

Riga is easy to walk around, beautiful city, try the pastries, delicious.

Enjoy your cruise, any other questions regarding this itinerary ask away.

Ross