Caltigirone .... Is it too far from Messina for a visit?

Karysa

From Messina it would be at least a 2 hour (one way) trip. If you had a private driver and more than 4-5 hours in port it might be a feasible trip. Caltigirone is certainly worth the visit to see and climb the steps. It is best to visit in the morning while the ceramic shops are open. Most places in Caltigirone observe reposo and only a few bar/cafes will be open mid-day.

From Messina it would be at least a 2 hour (one way) trip. If you had a private driver and more than 4-5 hours in port it might be a feasible trip. Caltigirone is certainly worth the visit to see and climb the steps. It is best to visit in the morning while the ceramic shops are open. Most places in Caltigirone observe reposo and only a few bar/cafes will be open mid-day.

I will consider a private driver if DH is interested in photographing the steps but I really like DIY days. Is it possible to visit Caltigirone via train?

There are many wonderful places to visit in Sicily and Caltigirone is one of them. I have been to Sicily both on land tours and cruises and have family there also. In Caltigirone, walking the staircase and going through the ceramice shops, etcs. will not take you as long you think. I didn't consider it for its own day excursion. When we went we combined it with other stops.

There are many wonderful places to visit in Sicily and Caltigirone is one of them. I have been to Sicily both on land tours and cruises and have family there also. In Caltigirone, walking the staircase and going through the ceramice shops, etcs. will not take you as long you think. I didn't consider it for its own day excursion. When we went we combined it with other stops.

If we rented a car or hired a driver would there be worthwhile stops between Messina and Caltigirone to make it a worthwhile cruise day?

While there are many sites to see along the way, please keep in mind that even with a private driver who knows the roads, Caltigirone is over 100 miles from Messina (one way). You could probably do a late lunch along the coast on your return trip to Messina. Only part of the drive to Caltigirone is on the Autostrada, the rest is on small two-lane roads and always take more time than anticipated.

If you hire a private driver ask him for suggestions. He knows the island and what is doable in the time you have.

This day trip is a little far afield to do from a cruise ship because of the distance, roads and traffic at various times of the day particularly around Catania.

While there are many sites to see along the way, please keep in mind that even with a private driver who knows the roads, Caltigirone is over 100 miles from Messina (one way). You could probably do a late lunch along the coast on your return trip to Messina. Only part of the drive to Caltigirone is on the Autostrada, the rest is on small two-lane roads and always take more time than anticipated.

If you hire a private driver ask him for suggestions. He knows the island and what is doable in the time you have.

This day trip is a little far afield to do from a cruise ship because of the distance, roads and traffic at various times of the day particularly around Catania.

Thanks for the information I think we will have to think of something else for this port stop.