Transportation from Belfast to dublin

bear59

Go to this website and enter your details:

http://journeyplanner.translink.co.uk/web/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Some buses are express and some make several stops so be aware of that. Also be aware that you are crossing the UK's only international land border and you should have your passport handy, just in case. There are no routine checks in place for those crossing this border, either by foot or vehicle owing to the complexity of patrolling it. Occasionally the Irish Police ("Garda Siochana") will set up spot border checks on key arterial roads for customs purposes, but tourists will normally be waved through without any trouble.

Edited by Bob++

Here is a link to the bus timetable.

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425310153-001X.pdf

As you can see, there is an hourly service. The terminus in Dublin is at Busáras, the central bus station. From there, it is a three minute walk across Amiens Street to Connolly rail station where you take a southbound DART (local train) heading towards Bray or Greystones. Get a ticket to Lansdowne Road station, four stops down the line, where the Aviva stadium is located. Note that the stadium is named after an insurance company and not the birthplace of the saint. There is a DART every fifteen minutes and the journey only takes ten minutes.

If it were me, I would take the train from Belfast Central station to Dublin Connolly station and then the DART. Here is a link to the train timetable.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/dublin-belfast-web.pdf

I have taken the train journey many times and there are no formalities whatsoever when travelling between the two jurisdictions. If you require any further information just ask.

Dermot

Dermot,

I looked at the dart transportation you suggested and realized the hotel is to far from the stadium with luggage. We are staying at the doubletree Burlington which is near the stadium at Burlington rd and lesser st upper. I'm guessing it's easier to take a cab from either the bus terminal or train terminal to the airport?

Can you tell me the closet central bus station I should book. Is it Europa buscentre Belfast to Dublin city bussras? Also the train is Belfast central to Dublin Connolly?

Thank you for your help

Dermot,

I looked at the dart transportation you suggested and realized the hotel is to far from the stadium with luggage. We are staying at the doubletree Burlington which is near the stadium at Burlington rd and lesser st upper. I'm guessing it's easier to take a cab from either the bus terminal or train terminal to the airport?

Can you tell me the closet central bus station I should book. Is it Europa buscentre Belfast to Dublin city bussras? Also the train is Belfast central to Dublin Connolly?

Thank you for your help

Hey, I live in Belfast and frequently travel this route. I would recommend the bus as I think the train is quite expensive. As someone has already said look at the Translink website. The buses are comfortable and have on board wifi too - takes about 2hours down the road. The Europa bus station is in central Belfast. Once you get to the bus station in Dublin you are probably as quick to take a cab - email the hotel directly and they will give you better options. The Dublin traffic can be busy so bare this in mind.

Dermot,

Thank you for your help

Yes, the hotel is too far to walk to with luggage from Lansdowne Road. There is a taxi rank outside Connolly railway station. If you take the bus, Busáras, the central bus station, is across the road from Connolly station. If possible try to arrive in Dublin before 4:30pm to avoid rush hour traffic.

As already stated, book your ticket via the Translink website. For a bus ticket, click on Goldline in the Preferences box. For a train ticket, click on Enterprise. You are correct in the departure/arrival points for both bus and train. After Dublin airport, the bus runs non-stop to Busáras. Connolly station is the train's only stopping point in Dublin. I prefer train travel, but that's a personal choice.