UK citizen with annual travel insurance sailing in European waters!

Do we need an EHIC as well. I am thinking that if we needed medical attention on board ship, we would use our travel insurance but if we needed medical help whilst ashore, we would need to use the EHIC! Right or not?:confused:

Do we need an EHIC as well. I am thinking that if we needed medical attention on board ship' date=' we would use our travel insurance but if we needed medical help whilst ashore, we would need to use the EHIC! Right or not?:confused:[/quote']

I'd get it it costs nothing and if u need medical care or medication it's covered by the card

We always travel with both just to cover all angles. You might want to check your travel insurance because some insurers insist that you have one and many waive the excess if you have one. It is not valid on a cruise ship but will be valid ashore. [emoji4]

We always take the ehic to back up the insurance. Worst case scenario if you were taken ill & removed from the ship to hospital it will certainly come in handy. It gives you the same level of health service the locals are entitled to, so not valid in private healthcare clinics / hospitals.

We have had to use my daughters ehic before, not on a cruise but an Ibiza holiday, severe ear infection, showed card & passport at local hospital, filled in a form & seen by a doctor very quickly. Much better than paying large fees upfront, then claiming when back home & still paying any excess for the same service via the travel insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EHIC is of little use to be honest. It only applies when you are on land and in EU countries and a few others. Also the standard of healthcare in the UK is very different from that found in places like Italy and Greece. Take it by all means but your private travel insurance is the one you need and if you needed to get medical assistance in the countries named above then believe me you would want to go to a private hospital/doctor.