Island Paradise Tours? Anybody used them?

Oldrunner1959

My husband and I will be in St. Kitts in September, and are thinking of the volcano hike. I see many tour operators offer this excursion ... including Island Paradise. I'd love to hear from others who have used this company.

Thanks!!:D

Oldrunner 1959,

No one appears to have replied to your question re Island Paradise Tours yet, so here goes.

We haven't been on their "St. Kitts Volcano Hike - Mount Liamuiga" (6 hours, $70.00 pp) but we went with them on their "Best of St. Kitts Tour", my review of this tour is as follows:-

We booked with Roosevelt Taylor’s Island Paradise Tours “Best of St. Kitts Tour”, primarily based on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor reviews – a 3 hour sightseeing tour. The tour cost $55.00 pp, with a $35.00 pp deposit paid in advance by credit card (we didn’t fill in the credit card information requested on the web site – we dealt with it by email and phone); we gave a $20.00 tip at the end of the tour.

Equinox was the only ship in port that day (Tuesday December 15, 2015, 2,850 pax), so the island was uncrowded.

The meeting time and directions (provided with our booking confirmation) could have been clearer and we had a little trouble finding them, which is one of the problems in not having been to the port before.

They asked that we be there at 8:30 am as the so that the tour could start promptly at 9:00 am. Because the ship was berthed at the pier furthest away from the port exit it took us 30 m to walk round the dock to get to the meeting point – ok we are slow to get going in the morning.

There were four of us at the meeting point, the other couple went on another of Island Paradise Tours’ trips, so that left us as the only people booked on this tour. Merlyn Browne was our guide and driver. Toured from 9:30am to 1:45pm.

I don’t know why more people didn’t tour with them, Island Paradise Tours are highly rated on TA (No. 3 out of 54 tours and activities, with a 97% excellent and very good rating) and lived up to their rating by providing a great product - perhaps they need to do a better job with their marketing.

Sightseeing tour

Toured Basseterre to look at the sites than on to Romney Manor House gardens, a 17th. Century sugar plantation. No real house to speak of, long gone by now, only the bell tower remains. We visited Caribelle Batik factory and shop at Romney house, the fabric is not cheap (priced for tourists) bought two cushion covers for $50.00, given a demonstration of the fabric dying process and looked at the grounds with its extensive gardens, flowers, plants and trees. We also visited Brimstone Hill Fortress & National Park, interesting place with great views from the top and Timothy Hill (Views of both the Caribbean and Atlantic Oceans) than had a quick visit to Carambola Beach Club at South Frias Bay. Roads are typical for a volcanic, rain forested, Caribbean island - narrow and hilly with steep drop offs. Refreshments provided in the form of bottled water.

We had a great tour, one I can heartily recommend, Merlyn was a terrific tour guide and safe driver His enthusiasm and desire to teach us about St. Kitts was awesome! He was full of wonderful facts and told us all about the local trees, spices and flowers.

Happy to answer, if I can, any questions you may have. Still lots of time until September.

NA Gooner

Thanks so much for sharing this information. It gives me confidence to know that you feel the tour company is professional ... If your tour was well run it stands to reason that all of their tours will run well.

Again, thanks for your input.

• 6 months later...