Rental cars at Port Canaveral

kathy7558

I've begun looking for a rental car for our day in Cape Canaveral - a stop on our December cruise from Baltimore to the Bahamas. I'm seeing some very cheap prices, but am not certain the rental agency is the one the port shuttles will take us to.

Can someone tell me which car rental addresses are the ones close to the port? Aren't they all pretty much near each other? I don't want to reserve a car at a site that will cost me taxi money to get to. :o

Thanks for all your help!

I've begun looking for a rental car for our day in Cape Canaveral - a stop on our December cruise from Baltimore to the Bahamas. I'm seeing some very cheap prices, but am not certain the rental agency is the one the port shuttles will take us to.

Can someone tell me which car rental addresses are the ones close to the port? Aren't they all pretty much near each other? I don't want to reserve a car at a site that will cost me taxi money to get to. :o

Thanks for all your help!

Here is a rental car map:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477988&postcount=5

The local agencies will have addresses in Cocoa Beach or Cape Canaveral.

Not sure where you are planning to travel during your port stop but do consider the following:

1. Regardless of the rental agency you will wait in line to get the rental shuttle, then 10 minutes or so drive, and then you will wait in line to pick your car. You could lose 30 minutes of your day just to get your car.

2. If you are not driving far, consider Uber or local flat-rate taxis (Hoo-ha, Happy hour, or even 800-transport.

3. When you return the vehicle, chances are you have to drop the keys in a drop box because the offices close early (note Budget does not allow after-hour returns). You have to take pictures/video just in case there is a dispute about damages!

4. How will you then get to the ship after drop off after hours? You have to call a taxi!!! There are some techniques for doing this - read here: http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/car-rental/

On our port stop we rented from Hertz. They picked us up at the port and we were prepared to call a taxi for ride back, but the shuttle driver told us he works until the ships leave. Not sure if that is still true, but it saved us cab fare!

On our port stop we rented from Hertz. They picked us up at the port and we were prepared to call a taxi for ride back, but the shuttle driver told us he works until the ships leave. Not sure if that is still true, but it saved us cab fare!

Same process at Avis. They run continuously back and forth from the ship to the office.

While true that shuttles run every 20 minutes or so on cruise days, it is only during business hours at the Cape Canaveral locations as far as I know.

Meaning if the Pride departs at 6pm, you have to return the car before 4pm for most rental companies in order to get a free shuttle back to the ship.

Budget and Avis close at 6pm and Payless at 5, for example.

I would call Hertz to see if they still do this. I was actually surprised when the shuttle driver said he worked later to get people to the ship. We had to use the after hours drop box for the car return and we waited maybe 10 minutes and he was there to take us to the ship. I was prepared to call a taxi. Also be sure if you drop after hours to video or get pictures of the car as you return it just in case

• 5 weeks later...

I'm so happy to find this thread....

I will be in port in December as well, and am considering renting two economy cars, as my family will be breaking into two groups for the day.

Two of us (adult and child) will be going to Kennedy Space Center for the day, and the rest of us (adult, teen, 2 children) will be going to the Orlando Eye, SEA life and wax museum.

I've been doing a ton of research trying to figure out the most affordable way to do this. I've learned that two economy cars is definitely cheaper than one minivan (and having to drop off/pick up each other).

We purchased the Space Center and Orlando Eye passes directly from the vendors, so we are on our own to figure out the transportation. We have some discounts on rental car agencies through work, so the rentals themselves will be almost no cost, but we want to make sure they are the smartest choice!

Has anyone had experiences going to these attractions while in port?