Liberty Excursions Advice

mherndonmom

We are going on our first cruise in January, 2017 on Liberty. We only have 3 ports of call--Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize City. Would love your input on excursions for these ports. A few details/caveats, though--

--We are two parents with our two teen sons and 9 yo daughter

--our oldest son has limited mobility-so jungle hiking, climbing, caving, etc. are out. He can walk, just not long distances or super treacherous terrain!

--I really want one or two AWESOME beach days. Maybe a resort type beach with a pool, bar, cabanas, etc.

--We are planning on only getting off the ship and doing an activity or excursion at one of the ports to save money. I've read Belize City might be the best option to stay on the boat because we have to tender instead of just docking?

-I am nervous about booking outside of RC official excursions because of the possibility of cancellations due to weather, etc. and not getting a refund. How much of a concern is this? I know many people book their excursions NOT through RC.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to all of your suggestions!!

We are going on our first cruise in January, 2017 on Liberty. We only have 3 ports of call--Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize City. Would love your input on excursions for these ports. A few details/caveats, though--

--We are two parents with our two teen sons and 9 yo daughter

--our oldest son has limited mobility-so jungle hiking, climbing, caving, etc. are out. He can walk, just not long distances or super treacherous terrain!

--I really want one or two AWESOME beach days. Maybe a resort type beach with a pool, bar, cabanas, etc.

--We are planning on only getting off the ship and doing an activity or excursion at one of the ports to save money. I've read Belize City might be the best option to stay on the boat because we have to tender instead of just docking?

-I am nervous about booking outside of RC official excursions because of the possibility of cancellations due to weather, etc. and not getting a refund. How much of a concern is this? I know many people book their excursions NOT through RC.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to all of your suggestions!!

For a good beach day, I'd recommend Maya Chan at Costa Maya.

http://costamayabeachresort.com/

"Our all-inclusive beach break has been designed for the discerning cruiser who might not want to adhere to the strict regimen of a shore excursion. There is no need to rush off the ship to secure a spot in the shade, as this Costa Maya location reserves your spot ahead of time and holds it for you until you arrive. Our glass bottom kayaks are available for use all day, as well as our complimentary snorkel gear. Lunch is served fresh and hot off the grill, when you are ready to eat, not on a preplanned schedule. It’s YOUR vacation. Own It."

"What if the ship does not dock due to weather or scheduling?

If the ship does not dock, for whatever reason, your money will be refunded to you in full. We ask that you give us ten days to complete the refunds as we are often unable to secure good internet service while travelling or during a storm."

Edited by rhuntington3

When we book private tours, aside from cheaper rate than RC, we choose those that does not require deposits.

Our criteria also includes the return time to ship which should be 2 hours before all aboard time.

If there is none of the above factors, we choose the line's excursion.

• 4 weeks later...

I am set to go to Maya Chan in early November. I just received the directions for leaving the port. Should I be concerned at all with safety? Do they use taxis or have a dedicated transport? It was also mentioned that other vendor my try to misrepresent that the are with Maya Chan, did you experience this and should I be concerned? They did some tacos may tried to get you to get out and shop in the pueblo area. Any further guidance or instructions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to visiting the resort. There have been so many great reviews.

Thanks - MollyBax