Cabin Upgrade Experience

Christine Cruisin

We are booked on the August 20, 2006 cruise British Isles/Western Europe on the Golden. I chose the AA Dolphin category because it's mid-ship and close to the elevators. I have choosen "do not upgrade" because most of the suites are aft, but I would love to be upgraded. Are the suites really worth the extra walk, and have any of you ever been upgraded to a suite from AA? and was it worth it?

It's quite nice and we really enjoyed being aft on a Grand-class ship. So much so that we booked an aft suite on a subsequent cruise. You can't really count on upgrades and being in an AA doesn't necessarily put you first in line. We were upgraded to a VS from an AC, and to a PS from an AA. Mostly we've just stayed in the cabin we started with, though.

All upgrades are not great. But you honestly can't count on them. They used to be issued quite regularly but not anymore as ships are sailing quite full.

Just remember, if you mark you booking upgrade will be accepted, you may not like the location of the upgraded cabin, but you have very little choice in the matter.

We had an AA mini suite on the Golden in August and it was the perfect location for us. No matter what the seas were like, we had perfect conditions. And it was very handy to get to anywhere from where our cabin was located.

We have stayed in aft minis before and it really is a long way to everything on the Grand Class ships. Lots of walking even when you don't feel like it.

We've been on over 30 cruises; 12 with Princess. We have never booked any category below balcony, and the last 4 cruises we have booked mini-suites. We prefer mid-ship or aft, and like to walk (we never take elevators on the ship). If I was in an AA, I'd definitely accept an upgrade. That being said, we've never been upgraded into a different type of stateroom (in other words, we may have gone from an AC to an AA, but never from a mini to a full suite).

Archived