Hotel room for the day prior to flight home?

lopar

My cruise is finishing in Barbados and includes transfers to the airport, but the flight isn't until early evening. The cruise line will just drop us straight to the airport early morning and there don't seem to be any tours including airport drop off later.

I wanted to book a hotel room close to the airport so we can leave our luggage there, go out for the day and then have somewhere to shower before a long flight home.

Any suggestions on a hotel? There doesn't seem to be anything at the airport and I want either a shuttle or easy taxi to the airport? A day room would be ideal but I may just need to book an overnight and not stay the night!

Thanks

One problem is you'd be overlapping two nights as far as check-in and check-out times are set up. If you prebooked they'll want to charge you for two nights in order to hold the room for an early morning check-in and late afternoon/evening checkout. You would be better off to wing it and just show up and negotiate a day room rate on the spot, if they have available rooms they'd be glad to fill one for the day at a lower rate.

I had a similar situation in Ethiopia, although I wasn't coming off a cruise but got extremely ill from altitude sickness the day I was to fly from Addis Ababa to Bangkok but flight wasn't until about 10 at night. Checked into a hotel to lay down, hoping to be well enough to fly, I felt horrible, could barely walk. They gave me a suite actually, for about $50, and brought me bottle water. I slept for about 4 hours, felt a little better but still pretty bad. I decided I had to make a go for it, Bangkok is at sea level and will resolve it, just had to make it through the 9 hour flight. Sure enough, after landing and no more than an hour later I felt great!

The car hire is a good idea, they could drive up to the Animal Flower cave. The inside pool is freshwater and they have showers. Bring soap and shampoo, environmentally friendly of course. No showers at Barbados airport.

We visited that cave about 20 years ago, and remember a funny situation. Driving to it there was this guy selling trinkets, my friend tells him that he spoke no English, in English of course, that he only spoke German. The guy starts talking to him in German LOL apparently got enough German tourists to learn some. Now he uses Swahili.

One problem is you'd be overlapping two nights as far as check-in and check-out times are set up. If you prebooked they'll want to charge you for two nights in order to hold the room for an early morning check-in and late afternoon/evening checkout. You would be better off to wing it and just show up and negotiate a day room rate on the spot, if they have available rooms they'd be glad to fill one for the day at a lower rate.

I had a similar situation in Ethiopia, although I wasn't coming off a cruise but got extremely ill from altitude sickness the day I was to fly from Addis Ababa to Bangkok but flight wasn't until about 10 at night. Checked into a hotel to lay down, hoping to be well enough to fly, I felt horrible, could barely walk. They gave me a suite actually, for about $50, and brought me bottle water. I slept for about 4 hours, felt a little better but still pretty bad. I decided I had to make a go for it, Bangkok is at sea level and will resolve it, just had to make it through the 9 hour flight. Sure enough, after landing and no more than an hour later I felt great!

Hmm, good point though as long as they could store luggage from the morning we wouldn't want the room until normal afternoon check in.

Ugh, feeling ill on a flight is no fun!

Hire a car to drop off at the airport and go on a tour of the island I'm sure that they have a shower at the airport

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hiring a car or a driver for the day is definitely an idea. I suppose as long as we're not swimming we could not bother with the shower or go up to the Animal Flower Cave if that works.