Live on liberty!

ckmommy

You are very correct! The point where the cruise ships exit the Galveston Channel is one of the busiest marine intersections in the US...Bolivar Roads. It is packed with cargo and petrochemical traffic going to and from the Bayport, Texas City, and Port of Houston terminals. The Houston Ship Channel is part of the Intercoastal Waterway and is a working waterway with lots of ships carrying dangerous chemicals. Don't mess with them in fog!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Found out this weekend from someone who works for the Port of Houston that Bolivar Roads is the second busiest marine intersections in the world, second only to Singapore!!! Yikes!!

It was the Roatan by Land and Sea excursion. It was apparently oversold and we were crammed into a small van with 16 people instead of the large bus. We had 2 physically impaired people who struggled and an elderly couple who seemed to struggle as well getting in/out/off that little van. Can you say sardines? Every hill, the ac cut out. There are a lot of hills there.

Our tour guide only spoke if spoken to - no real information about the city was offered unless a specific question was asked. Doubtful the people in the rear of the van could hear a single word.

The glass bottom boat didn't have the stated expert dive master to explain what we were seeing. Instead, the tour guide offered a few tidbits about her brother's fishing experiences and passed out barf bags as more than half of the tourists on board were sick - it was like an amusement park ride. To attract fish, the driver dropped fish food over the side. If I didn't know better, he threw in the plastic as well. 2 different occasions, we saw fish trying to eat the plastic bag looking material and spitting it back out. Not good.

The cameo factory was very very questionable as to authenticity. We learned nothing and saw nothing other than items for sale.

The entire tour was nothing more than a drive and dump tour with very little explanations or guidance. Our tour guide really offered nothing and wasn't even sure how to get us to the glass bottom boat. Again, it was a trek for the nonphysical people when it wasn't necessary.

I believe it was $65.00 per person. We've had much better tour excursions for less. Very disappointed.

I almost forgot that in addition to the port changes as a result of the fog, we actually docked in Cozumel twice. The Captain said he was going to swing by Cozumel to drop off a patient around midnight one evening.

This poor Captain was faced with several challenges this cruise but seemed bound and determined to make the best of everything.

We just got off Liberty this morning. Fog was terrible on embarkation. Check in was terrible but we couldn't board until late in the day due to the delayed arrival so it was a true "cattle call". At least turn on the AC. Saw that poor man in need of medical attention. Anyone could have become dehydrated in that awful hot muggy line.

The cruise was great over all. The employees were so calm and super friendly considering the immediate turnover of passengers and delayed departure. The main dining room seemed short handed but we had some of the friendliest servers ever.

We still had a blast. Any cruise is a good cruise in my book.

Love your attitude. Nothing will really stop us from enjoying our cruise!

Thanks for your feedback.

[YOUTUBE]KQoXnz3h_FE[/YOUTUBE]

The YouTube link was blocked but I get the idea. No I'm not from Texas. I would love to sail on a ship that I can easily drive to and I'm sure it would be a lot easier to take the fog delays without 1.5 hr post-cruise drive to airport, 2-3 hour wait, 3 hour flight back home. Best case scenario.

We typically sail out of FL which gets us home much quicker but did this because it was more of a central location with our extended family. The great majority of cruisers were TX or close by, and I can see why. Beautiful ship, close driving proximity. For us just not worth the extra potential weather problems and limitations imposed by TX.