RCI band, The Stingrays

Just wondering if anyone has seen this band lately on any of the ships. We saw them on the Explorer on '02 and happened to see them again on the Mariner in '04. Crossing my fingers that they might actually be on the Voyager in December as they're a fun band to dance to...

Hi Nancy:

Just wanted to let you know that The Stingrays will be on the Adventure until March 2006 before joining the Freedom. You can view their entire schedule at http://www.thestingrays.ca.

Glad you enjoyed the band. I myself am a former member and most likely met you on both the Explorer and the Mariner.

Have fun on the Voyager!

Rob

P.S. I hope nobody minds - I like to check in here from time to time to reminisce now that I'm retired...

Hi Rob!

Glad your band is still playing with RCI! My DD (who was 3 1/2 years old at the time on the Mariner) asked if the same band would be on the Voyager when we go in December. She really enjoyed dancing to your band in the lounge. I got a lot of great video of her "rockin' out"! She thought it was "so neat" when your band recognized her the second night we saw you in the lounge- she even got a song "dedicated" to her. The third time she saw the band was out at the pool (playing at sail-away), and she told one of the band members, "I be you don't remember me because my hair is all wet!" She was sooo surprised when the band member did!

Guess we'll have to book a cruise on the Freedom to see the band again!!! :-)

Rob -

We enjoyed the Stingrays on the Explorer in January 05. It was your first week back on board. You probably don't remember but we were the girls that called you the "wedding band". Don't take it personally, we'd had a few too many drinks that evening (okay, well every evening...)

Enjoy your retirement....

Hi again Nancy:

I think I remember you after reading your last post. What is your daughter's name again (my memory's good, but not THAT good)? If I recall, your daughter was quite a hit in the lounge. We had a lot of people talking about her all week! It really makes what we do that much more enjoyable when we can see people of all ages enjoying themselves. I've already emailed the guys on the Adventure to tell them about your post. Please say hi to her from all of us. Take care, Rob

Hi Lorilou:

Good to hear from you, too! This may seem funny, but the "wedding band" remark is actually quite a nice compliment for a cruise ship band. One of the most difficult things for bands in this position to do is to appeal to everyone, regardless of age, background, nationality, etc. When you get up on stage every night and scan the audience you never know what to expect. The best you can hope for is to play a wide enough variety of musical styles and songs that will appeal to as many people as possible (including some material that you may not perform as well as others) to ensure that the majority is having a good time. This is what a wedding band does as well. By saying the Stingrays reminded you of a wedding band you were basically telling them that they were doing very well and weren't excluding anyone in the audience. I remember you mentioning this to us at the time, and was very happy with what you had to say - you described the band very well and let us know we were on the right track! Thanks again, Lorilou. I am enjoying retirement, but I'm already looking forward to playing with the Stingrays again next October (while I cruise for a week for my wedding)...

Rob

Hi Rob,

My daughter's name is Alyssa. It's hard to believe it will almost be 2 years since she's been on a cruise. They way she talks about the Mariner one, it seems like it was only yesterday! Hope we'll get a band on the Voyager as good as the Stingrays!!!

Hi Nancy:

It's hard for me to believe as well that it's been almost 2 years since the Mariner. I used to think time flew while I was on the ships, but it's going by even faster here at home.

I know you'll have a great cruise on the Voyager. I'm sure Alyssa will have just as much fun, if not more.

Archived