Walkie talkies on Jewel...

magicd30

Sailing 1/15/06 with my two children on the Jewel and since my oldest is 13 would like to give her a little freedom - wondered if anyone had any experience on a ship with walkie talkies - the one I have has a 2 mile radius and wondered if that is big enough to keep in touch on the Jewel - thanks for any advice!

We used them last year on the very large Caribbean Princess .The ones we had were 13km range [we are Canadian] There was a lot of interference with others using them as the ship rented them as well . I think you have to find a free channel , probabaly one you would not normally be pemitted to use on land .You have to be very specific and say the person's name you want or else you will have conversations with people you don't know thinking it is your loved ones only to discover you have made arrangements to meet a complete sranger somewhere :cool: Voices are very distorted .We will take them again on the Sun in January .Have fun .

We used them last year on the very large Caribbean Princess .The ones we had were 13km range [we are Canadian] There was a lot of interference with others using them as the ship rented them as well . I think you have to find a free channel , probabaly one you would not normally be pemitted to use on land .You have to be very specific and say the person's name you want or else you will have conversations with people you don't know thinking it is your loved ones only to discover you have made arrangements to meet a complete sranger somewhere :cool: Voices are very distorted .We will take them again on the Sun in January .Have fun .

TBONE: This is off the topic but just wanted to catch you before you leave for your next cruise. Since I have reservations at The Four Ambassadors and haven't seen any reviews or pictures of this place...I was wondering if you would be kind enough to take a few while there? I'm wondering how the rooms are and pool area. If you don't mind of course...:rolleyes:

I was just wondering about you tonight Littlebit and then you turn up on this thread .Still don't have much on the hotel .It is a 4 tower condo building where owners rent out their $300.000 to $400,000 suites when not in use. I think it will be just fine for our one night . They are all different depending on what the owner does with it .The price is very good and the large 2 room suite with one and a half baths for $169 will accomodate four to six of us .I did a Google Earth search which took me right into the Miami area and the Hotel is very close to the cruise port . One review said $5 cab ride .

We will be there Jan 20 to 21 , and just to keep this thread on topic .I am sure the walkie talkies will work there too. When do you go ?

Forgot to say .Trywww.expedia.com They have lots of good pictures on that hotel .

Thanks for the info. I have 2 rooms booked a/o now One is the larger suite (2 bedrooms/2bathrooms) and the other is the smaller one...sleeps 4 1 1/2 bathroom. I saw a few pictures but couldn't tell if they are outdated or not. I don't leave till May, but as you can tell, I'm anxious..lol

Archived