Chain of Craters Road Question

JC Cruiser

My wife and I will be in Hilo later this month on the POAloha. We already rented a car from Alamo and are trying to determine the best way to see the flowing lava. I originally thought it may take a couple hours of hiking to see the lava, but I have recently been reading about this Chain of Craters Road. Is following this Chain of Craters Road the best way to see the lava? And if not is this road on the map? Any advice would be appreciated. We were in Hilo once before and booked the VNP tour with the ship, but this time we are going to explore on our own and hoping to see some lava. Thanks!

Get out your map of the Big Island and look at the area around HVNP. The Chain of Craters road is the road from the area near the summit caldera of Kilauea (where Volcano House, Thurston Lava tube, etc.) is located that heads basically south to the coast and ends abruptly. It is on every map of HVNP.

This road leads to what is currently the only way for the average visitor to see active lava. After driving to Volcano from Hilo, entering the park, and taking the Chain of Craters road to its end, you park your car in the area provided along the road (you drive to the end, do a u-turn, and then park in the direction leading back up the road).

It's from this point that the hike to the active lava begins, which recently takes a couple of hours each direction. This distance, and what you can view, varies from week to week and month to month. Sometimes there is zero activity at the coast. Sometimes, like for the past year or so, there is activity. Sometimes it's very close to the end of the road (even crosses the road occasionally), sometimes it's very far.

Right now it's sort of middling distance. Doable, but not a short stroll. As far as what you see, that varies from day to day. Sometimes people can walk right up to a small breakout on the flats. Sometimes the lava basically stays underground until it emerges right at the coast. Take plenty of water, sunscreen, hat, long pants, sturdy shoes. Yeah, you'll see people in flip-flops. They are not wise. I've found that a walking stick helps a lot over the uneven terrain, but it's not a necessity.

Ask the park naturalists at the kiosk at road's end about current conditions. Ask people coming BACK, along the hike, what they saw and where.

Have a great time.

mcmd8700, I think you meant kalapana, from the east side - at Keaau (on the road from Hilo to HVNP) you turn left and head to Pahoa and then the site of Kalapana, which was mostly buried by lava in the early 1990s (it was, IMO, perhaps the most pristine and beautiful place in all Hawaii).

There are times when the lava is indeed flowing closer to this end of the road.

Prior to late 1986, when the lava from this eruption period first crossed the road and entered the ocean, the chain of craters road continued all the way to Kalapana. It was a GREAT drive for a lot of reasons. Well, as the eruption continued for as of now almost 19 additional years, more and more of this road got covered until the distance from one end to the other is many miles. I'm not sure of the exact distance, but it's at least 8 miles. As of now, and for the last few years, the lava has coursed its way much closer to the western end of the road (via HVNP and chain of craters) than the Kalapana/Royal Gardens (heh) side.

So the info you got a few years ago was accurate - for then.

If you're like us, you'll even stop along the Chain of Craters road and marvel at all the hardened lava flows. Some of them even covered previous roads. If you do plan to hike to the lava, make sure you get there early. They do have flashlights for purchase (at least they did) a couple years ago at the rangers trailer at the end of the road, but it does get dark rather early in Dec. And it does get DARK out there! If you have time, south point is really a neat area, too---totally unlike anything you'ld think of for Hawaii!

As great as Hawaii cruises are, there is a lot to be said for going to the end of chain of craters road at night for lava viewing. Yes, it is very dark. Can't really do this on a cruise itinerary.

And what the "town" of Volcano lacks in diverse amenities, it makes up for with some great B&B's that are a very convenient way to have a close by place to sleep if you plan to be at the park late into the night.

Archived