Future Booking.. Wait to book on ship?

gbearman

Hi,

I'm going on the TA Getaway and was wondering if it is better to wait to book future cruises on board or just book them now? I have heard about OBC's but do they raise the cruise costs to cover them?

I don't know if there are any additional bonuses for actually booking a cruise onboard. But if you plan on sailing and don't mind waiting to book; you'd be able to pick up a "cruise next certificate" and get either $100 off 1 $250 certificate or $250 off 2 $250 certificates - so would save a bit when you book. The certificates are independent of the sailings so there wouldn't be any price raising to make up for the OBC.

Onboard you can buy a future cruise reward/cruise next certificate which works as a deposit on your next cruise. The cost for 1 is $150 ($250 deposit less $100 onboard credit) or 2 for $250 (2 x $250 deposits less $250 onboard credit). These deposits are good for 4 years and transferable but you can usually only use 1 per cabin - sometimes they allow more than one.

You do not have to book your next cruise onboard - sometimes they will offer an additional perk or an upgrade 1 or a few categories so check if it is worth it to book onboard.

I booked 11/2017 Dawn Bos-PuertoRico 9night while aboard 10/2016 Dawn Bos-NO Repo.

Bought 2 x $250 ( =$500) CruiseNext coupons with $250 OBC I had purchased in advance. (I look at that as $250 of 'free' money).

At the CruiseNext desk when booking, I was given 'instant upgrade' >> from inside cabin price (I paid $699pp) to an OV, which was what I went in there to reserve (Oceanview OA category was $849 at the time= $150pp instant savings, another $300 of 'free' money). I was able to apply both CruiseNext coupons to this cruise.

Inside is now at $799 and my OA Deck 8 resv is currently selling at $1049.

Worked out well for me in this instance.

Yes, prices FALL as well as RISE, but knowing historical trends can help decisions to buy earlier or later.

Work it!