How much time for Airport to Ship in Malta

ukoyster7

Hello.

Will be flying to Malta on a P&O charter (Thomson) for an Oceana cruise next week.

Is there time to visit the arrivals lounge in Malta airport before getting our transfer to the ship? Or will we be hurried out to a waiting coach?

And on return, how much time ahead of the flight do they drop you at the airport?

Luqa airport has a delightful little lounge which would be good to visit and not be so rushed that we only get 20 mins in there before our flight.

And on return, how much time ahead of the flight do they drop you at the airport?

A couple of hours. But it took 45 minutes or so to get through security. Then you had a choice of going through passport control and sitting there (if you could find a seat) or staying in the bit before passport control which had the shops, bars, etc (and more seats).

• 3 weeks later...

Having completed the trip, I can now answer my own questions (which others might be interested in).

1. On the outbound flight to Malta, there was no time to visit the arrivals lounge. This is fair enough - the arrivals process was pretty smooth (though being onboard ship without shorts (as they're in my suitcase, was a drawback).

2. On return P&O do not get you to the airport very early at all. The meeting time on the ship was only 1hr 45m before the gate time on our boarding passes. We still had to disembark the ship, get on a coach, drive to the airport, join a huge queue through security and then we could get into the VIP lounge. The lounge is brilliant and well worth a visit. But presumably few P&O passengers use it as they drop you off with only perhaps 15 mins to spend in the lounge. Glad I hadn't paid with cash in advance to use that lounge!

I am also on the ship next week, flying with Thomson, however I was informed by a friend who did it a few weeks age and it was mentioned on this board too, that we will pass through a duty free shop before boarding the ship. Are you saying this is not the case? As we had hoped to pick up a bottle of gin

Me too, although our flight from Gatwick lands late afternoon/early evening so there won't be much time for anything!

Our only other cruise delivered us to the ship in Genoa for a late lunch and we were able to wander off the ship after the lifeboat drill to explore a bit and shop.

What time will we get to the ship in Malta?...has anyone done it recently on the late Gatwick flight?

I was informed by a friend who did it a few weeks age and it was mentioned on this board too, that we will pass through a duty free shop before boarding the ship.

You do.

The check in desks are in an undercroft next to the ship. When you come out of the exit you have to walk through the duty free shop before heading outside and along the quayside to the gangplank.

No idea of the prices.

I am also on the ship next week, flying with Thomson, however I was informed by a friend who did it a few weeks age and it was mentioned on this board too, that we will pass through a duty free shop before boarding the ship. Are you saying this is not the case? As we had hoped to pick up a bottle of gin

Yes there is a shop you pass through after cruise terminal check in before you board the ship. It's decent value - I got a 50cl bottle of gin for EUR6, and tonic/bitter lemon for EUR2 each. It's the usual airport shop type stuff - overpriced colourful chocolate (think M&Ms, Toblerone etc) - not good for 30deg heat!

There's another local shop approx. 2 minute walk towards the harbour exit (north east) called Crew Inn or something like that. They sold Maltese wine and local beer too (and it was in the fridge!).

Me too, although our flight from Gatwick lands late afternoon/early evening so there won't be much time for anything!

Our only other cruise delivered us to the ship in Genoa for a late lunch and we were able to wander off the ship after the lifeboat drill to explore a bit and shop.

What time will we get to the ship in Malta?...has anyone done it recently on the late Gatwick flight?

It took us approx. 90 mins from landing at MLA to sitting down for lunch onboard. You cannot get lost at the airport, there must have been a P&O rep holding up a sign every 15 yards to the coaches!

Remember to bring your summer/pool gear in your hand luggage (if you don't wear it on the plane) as we had a 2 hour wait for our luggage to arrive at our cabin door.

And one final thing - take time to admire the cruise terminal in Valletta - it's stunning.

Yes there is a shop you pass through after cruise terminal check in before you board the ship. It's decent value - I got a 50cl bottle of gin for EUR6, and tonic/bitter lemon for EUR2 each. It's the usual airport shop type stuff - overpriced colourful chocolate (think M&Ms, Toblerone etc) - not good for 30deg heat!

There's another local shop approx. 2 minute walk towards the harbour exit (north east) called Crew Inn or something like that. They sold Maltese wine and local beer too (and it was in the fridge!).

Thanks that's great news, so we don't need to pack a bottle of gin then. Incidentally what size was the tonic you got? for example was it just the small cans or larger bottles?