Young children on QM2

cornish erika

We are joining the QM2 on 8th feb in Chile and going to LA. We are travelling with our two young daughters aged 3 and 5.

We have two cabins allocated on arrival which hopefully are adjoining, if not we wonder whether there is room for two small ones on the floor space of the cabins??

Moreover we wonder whether anyone has had experience of the child care facilities for this age group. We hope to use it mostly in the evening so that we can have dinner on our own and they can get some sleep.

Is it right that it does not open until 8.oopm??

We wonder whether anyone has experience of in cabin babysitters?

I think this available but on an "arrange yourself basis"??

I am desparately hoping that this will be better than NCL in February this year when our then 2 year old was plagued with chicken pox and we were treated like criminals!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We went on the QM2 last year with our 6 year old boys. They loved it. We put them in the kids camp there. The staff was very friendly. I forget the hours but from what I remember if you did the early seating for dinner it was not open then. A few nights I took the kids to the buffet while my wife got dressed and then we dropped them off at the camp and did the second seating or the specialty restaurant (awesome).

All 4 of us shared an inside cabin. It had sleeper bunks that pulled down from the ceiling. I would say the floor space was pretty tight for the kids sleeping on the floor. Inquire if your cabin has the pull down bunks. The boys loved them!

I was a little hesitant as to whether the ship would be good for the kids but it was fantastic. Would have booked again this year but no roundtrips from NYC.

We were on the October 8th crossing with our 12-month old daughter, and though she unfortunately did not take to the childrens' room staff, it seemed like a very well-organized and safe place to leave one's children.

They opened at 6:00 pm (and, of course, were open during the day), which does coincide with the early seating (which we had); however, the woman sitting at our table would drop her son off and then come to dinner a few minutes late, which didn't seem to pose a problem for anyone.

Our daughter ended up eating with us for most meals, and the staff was wonderful with special requests such as a plate full of watermelon for her; they even prepared a different puree for her each night (I never requested this; they did it automatically). I never felt like she wasn't welcome, in the dining room or elsewhere, (with the exception of some glances we received from a few older passengers).:) Remember, too, that your children are paying passengers and, within reason, deserve the same treatment/accessability that any other passenger would (of course I am not suggesting that one leaves his/her children to scream during a formal dinner, but I think you know what I am getting at).

By the way, we were told that there is no in-cabin babysitting. I am assuming this is due to liability issues. Maybe this will have changed by the time you embark.

Have a wonderful time! The QM2 is an amazing ship. I think both you and your children will have a great time.

thanks for the tips

certainly bunks would be the way forward

we end our criuse in LA and have 2 extra nights before returning home to UK, we want to take the children to disney. does anyone know how we would get there and where would be a good place to stay???

Archived