Western Caribbean: which ports in my list offer the best snorkeling tours?

lonestartor

I will be on the Explorer of the Seas out of Miami on Feb 12 2006, and wondered which places in the Western Caribbean offer the best snorkeling.

Can anyone comment on the following and perhaps rate the snorkeling:

Cozumel

Costa Maya

Belize

Grand Cayman

Thanks

I'd rank them in this order, taking into consideration, easy of arranging, price, and actual quality of snorkeling.

(1) GCM, easy to do from shore, easy walk to Eden Rock, price is free.

(2)Costa Maya - you can snorkel from shore at the cruise facilities, but you had better have something on your feed to protect them from the sharp rocks. Cost is free. Otherwise you will want a boat snorkel trip.

(3)Cozumel. It would have been number 1 for shore snorkeling before Emily and Wilma. Now, if you want decent snorkeling, you'll really want a boat trip that will take you to one of the southern snorkel sites. There is a $30 trip that leaves from Playa Palancar and because the club is already way far south, the boat ride is short.

(4)Belize just because I've not been there, the ships anchor quite a ways out and you have to tender. I'd consider a ship's excursion here. Actually, since I haven't been here, I haven't really done much research about this port, so take that into account when considering this advice.

Archived