Oil Spill in Havana Harbor on 9/26/17

Ohiocrusers

Refinery Oil Spill in Havana Harbor on Tuesday 9/26/17

My wife and I just returned from a four day cruise to Havana on the Norwegian Sky. Upon our return, we were surprised to learn that no news outlet reported on what we experienced.

When we arrived in Havana Harbor on the morning of September 26, the harbor was covered in oil. (I can send some pictures separately if you are interested.) My wife and I assumed it was simply residue from Hurricane Irma. It smelled like diesel fuel mixed with sewage.

Upon departure from Havana the next evening, we were surprised to find a letter from the captain of Norwegian Sky informing us of the following:

-The local oil refinery had an oil spill prior to our arrival on 9/26/17

-Our ship was sitting in this slick for the past 36 hours

-As a result of the contamination and possible environmental effect, our trip to the next port of call, Great Stirrup Cay, was cancelled. Instead, we would travel to Freeport, Bahamas where we would anchor and undergo an 8 hour cleaning by a local crew.

I am writing to you to tell you about this for several reasons:

First, it probably is important news for future cruisers. Perhaps more importantly, are other ships destined to go to Havana harbor in the near future? Are there any attempts to clean up the oil spill? How significant is the oil spill? What does this incident say about the infrastructure of the oil refinery in Havana?

P.S. Havana was beautiful!

Edited by Ohiocrusers
Typo

We were in Havana this past Thursday, September 28. I noticed the oil on the surface of the water in the harbor area, and blackened things (bottles and other detritus) floating- I guess I assumed it was typical for the area. My kids were sad to see it.

(We LOVED our visit to Cuba, though!)