Tips for room steward

puglvr0507

My husband and I recently went on a 5 day cruse. Only our 2nd. (last 1 was 20 years ago). We prepaid our gratuities and were told by experienced cruisers that we could leave extra if we wanted to. However on the next to last day we found an envelope on our bed from our cabin steward basically asking for more money. How common is this?? It made me feel very uncomfortable. If I want to leave extra it should be at my desertion....this felt more like an obligation. None of our experience friends have ever had this happen to them.

Leaving those envelopes is just part of the drill they are trained to do. It is up to you. We always prepay but give a bit extra at the end knowing it is cash and goes straight to their pocket. We have never NOT given a bit extra except to certain level of service which are salaries and not based on tips.

Next trip do not tip them $20 on day 1 & see if the service you get is any different :evilsmile:

Exactly. ;)

The service might be even better since the steward will have to earn the extra tip instead of knowing he already has it and no longer needs to work for it. I wonder if when dining at a land based restaurant they tip their waiter in advance when he introduces himself. :')