Mayan Ruins on Own?

Boardwalk

Hi all,

Is there any easy way to see the Mayan ruins in Cozumel without doing the 6-hour RCCL tour? We are a large family group and hope to go to Paradise Beach for the morning, but some folks were also interested in trying to rent a jeep or something and see the ruins on thier own later in the day. Is this even a possinbility? Appreciate all your help....we had the dolphins booked, but that's not happening! :)

When I read the title I thought you might be meaning on the mainland, which is not advisable on your own. The ones in Cozumel no problem. Right outside where you tender look for the "Island Tour" vans, they usually take 8 people each, and the driver is also a bilingual guide of sorts. You hire them for a specific time period, 2-4 hours. You could go straight to San Gervacio as soon as you debark, and beat the crowds. Spend an hour or so there, have the van drive around the backside so you see the east side, and then be dropped off at Paradise Beach. Stay there aslong as you want and catch a cab back to town.

I can't imagine what they do on the cruise tour that takes 6 hours to see the ruins in Cozumel...

Enjoy Cozumel!!

I believe the 6 hour RCCL ruins tour is the one to Tulum -- on the mainland.

This tour involves an approx 30+ minute ferry ride from Cozumel to mainland, a short walk to the tour buses & then the ride out to Tulum. I would hesitate to do this one on my own because of the travel logistics & length of the trip.....also, I understand the ferries are not running as frequently since hurrucane Wilma....I read somewhere once every two hours instead of once an hour....check for updates on that. I'd be sure to have a reservation on return ferry...and be darn sure to allow for delays and tender travel time as well. This is one tour I would choose to book with the cruiseship simply because of the guarantee that you will not be left. Most of the time I book with independent tour operators or go on my own, but Tulum I'd book on the ship. Just one person's opinion.

That said, the ruins trip was a highlight of our cruise. The ferry ride can be rough...lots of folks suffered seasickness big time!

By the way, the ruins near Costa Maya at Chacchoben are quite impressive too and much easier to get to. Check out Costa Maya thread under Ports of Call.

Archived