Ensanada

dboat

I just booked first cruise ever for my husband and I. We are going with another couple who know what they are doing so won't be too bad. But he doesn't think there is anything in Ensenada worth going to shore for. Any suggestions out there? Has anyone done the winery tour and is it worth doing?

Ensenada really varies by person. Some folks have a distinct aversion to the city, others don't mind it and even find it amusing. Just depends on one's expectations and what one considers necessary for a good time. A good thread to check out for this (IMO) is one started by RSS from SF. This person did a lot of research on the city of Ensenada and found some really good information. The research can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=261529 and might include some things that some people might not be interested in, such as grocery stores, but overall the information is very good.

For myself, I like Ensenada. But it is by far not one of the most exciting places I've ever visited. Just an interesting little place to walk around, buy some wine that I can't get in the States, eat at some local restaurants, practice some of my very bad Spanish, maybe have a drink at Hussongs, poke around some tacky souvenier shops, and pig out on fresh churros. I toured the winery at Santo Tomé (not really outside of Ensenada), and enjoyed it. And they actually have some great wines! I thought it was worth it, but you can see by the above what I find interesting to do.

If the gentleman you are traveling with doesn't feel there is anything interesting to do in Ensenada, that's fine. He and his wife can stay on the ship and enjoy doing onboard activities, while you and your husband explore the city of Ensenada for a few hours. That way everyone wins!

I did the winery tour the first time I went there... it was interesting. They bottle the HUGE gallon jugs and that is interesting to see. We also went and had a drink at Papas and Beer - nothing exciting. I wouldn't get off the ship again tho because I have already been there 2 times - lol. The winery tour we went on was a tour of the city itself and learning the history of ensenada was very interesting to my husband who is a history buff.

But he doesn't think there is anything in Ensenada worth going to shore for. Any suggestions out there?

Ensenada is a dump. It is just like EVERY other Mexican tourist town, selling exactly the same junk that you can buy anyplace in Mexico. The market street may be a little cleaner, but it is a DUMP. I live in San Diego and get roped into bringing visitors to Ensenada a couple of times a year and dread the trip every time, except the stop in Puerto Nuevo for the lobster dinner. That place is a dump too, but smaller and it has the lobster dinners, so it is a little more fun.

My advice, don't get off the ship and enjoy.

We did the Foxpolrations studio tour. It was all right if you're into movie studio's. If we ever go back again, it's either the wine tour or staying on the ship. I agree with the above posters in that Ensenada could use a good cleaning up.

I was on the Monarch the week of Dec 12th. I'd been to Ensenada before, but booked the winery tour on the recommendation of another poster. Other than the fact that the bus was old and "worn" (which is my nice word for "a piece of c#@p"), the tour, itself, was actually nice. Who knew there were vinyards just outside of Ensenada. I'd post my photos, if I had a clue how to do that.

Back to the bus: Don't wear your nice clothes; the arm rests were in such bad shape that I tore a huge hole in the back on my pants :( and :o . Our guide tried to teach us the "real" words to "La Bamba," on the ride home. It was amusing.

Good luck and enjoy!

PS: Our friends, on the same cruise, went to La Bufadora. They told me that the prices for Mexican "crafts" were better there, than in town.

We went into town last month, the first time in years and only because we were with friends. We'll be going back in February (QM2!!) and may go on the winery tour, depending on the weather that day.

I'll not be venturing back into town again, although there was one shop that had some pretty unique iron work and although the town has been cleaned up to some extent. If you really like shopping on vacation, you have seen it all in the first 2 or 3 stores in town.

The scenery can be beautiful, though and we wouldn't mind seeing some of the countryside and shoreline. Be prepared for Ensenada to smell awful. I frequently read people complaining about the smell on Monarch and I sometimes wonder if they haven't mistaken it for the smell of Ensenada!

Ensenada is a dump. It is just like EVERY other Mexican tourist town, selling exactly the same junk that you can buy anyplace in Mexico. The market street may be a little cleaner, but it is a DUMP. I live in San Diego and get roped into bringing visitors to Ensenada a couple of times a year and dread the trip every time, except the stop in Puerto Nuevo for the lobster dinner. That place is a dump too, but smaller and it has the lobster dinners, so it is a little more fun.

My advice, don't get off the ship and enjoy.

Ensenada looks a lot like National City to me.

Archived