Carrying a lot of bags off the ship while visiting port???

Cruise Arizona

I think most of you have ready my Infinity Review, and are aware that it was a great cruise, so I not really complaining.

I am just curious if this happens very often and maybe a heads up so it won't happen to you.

In Kauai, DD, DS, DH and I were getting off the ship, and I was carrying all of our stuff, not really much for 4 people going to the beach, I thought. I had one of the kids backpacks with swimwear for all, and the ships beach bag with 4 beach towels. You all know that disembarkation can be a bit of a zoo, and my husband got way ahead, and the kids were just ahead of me.

After the DH and the kids had scanned their cards and dis-embarked, I was ready to scan my card and leave the ship.

Then security stopped me, wanted to know what was in my bags, and if I was leaving the ship for good. I was like "no, I just have swim suits and beach towels for my family". The guys must have been new, cause he had to call his supervisor and see if I had to fill out a customs form. I'm like "What????".

So family are now way ahead of me on the pier and I stading in security, them not know where I am or what was taking me so long.

Finally the supervisor arrived, he asked what I had in my bags and waived me through.

Has anybody ever had this happened. I thought it was the strangest thing and must have been a mistake.

You were being reviewed because leaving the ship might have been a violation of the Jones Act.

The US government has very portective laws regarding the embarkation and disembarkation of a ship flying a foreign flag. A non US port is required between US cities in order for a passenger to get off the ship.

If you were attempting to get off with luggage, the guess would have been that you might be disembarking....The fine for this is BIG!

So, thus an explanation, the ship was financially protecting you and themselves.

You were being reviewed because leaving the ship might have been a violation of the Jones Act.

The US government has very portective laws regarding the embarkation and disembarkation of a ship flying a foreign flag. A non US port is required between US cities in order for a passenger to get off the ship.

If you were attempting to get off with luggage, the guess would have been that you might be disembarking....The fine for this is BIG!

So, thus an explanation, the ship was financially protecting you and themselves.

Very interesting responce because I ran into a similar situation getting off the 12/08 Zenith in Key West. My daughter lives in Key West and she mentioned she was trying to find a decent set of nice pots and pans for her boyfriend who is a gormet cook. It's hard to find bargains down there. I told her about the set of Wolfgang Puck pots and pans at Sams and we agreed I would bring a set with me. Talk about a labor of love. They weighed almost 50 pounds and I had to put them in an oversize suitcase. Key West was our first stop after leaving Miami. It occured to me late the first night I might want to clear taking them off with me, but it was too late and no one was on duty. Little did I know how much of a problem I would have the next day! In this case it was a broblem more of customs/duty vs getting off the ship and staying in Key West.

To make a long story short the Documentation Officer couldn't get in touch with the Port Agent as the phone line was continually busy. Finally after two hours she agreed to walk off with me (leaving the luggage on the ship) and took me to the customs office. They told me to not get my hopes up because they don't make exceptions, but I laughed and said I would think possitive and hope the official had some Christmas Spirit! After a LONG silence the person agreed to make an exception and let me go get the pots and pans.

Since deep down I knew I was foolish in not thinking about the technicalities of the situation, I was prepared for a big NO.

Trust me when I say I was so releaved to not have to lug them home!

What you said makes sense, but it just struck me as strange since compared to what we brought on board...8 suitcases plus the kids two back packs, I hardly thought that two bags to go to the beach would be that conspicuous, especailly when there were 4 of us.

But I guess with all the confusion and chaos in getting off the ship, the secruity person had no idea I was carrying beach stuff for 4 and not just me.

It was a little anoying.

In the next three ports I had somebody else carry one of the bags for me.

Another thought though..... what if I had gotten off with only one small bag and then missed the ship by accident? Would that have been a Jones act violation? Maybe not because my stuff would have still been on the ship?

Suzanne, next time make everyone carry their own stuff. Years ago I decided I was not a pack mule for my family and stopped carrying a bag large enough for anyone to fit anything into. Problem solved and no more back aches for me. If I carry a beach bag, it's one my husband won't mind carrying, so we take turns.

Archived