Amber Cove Questions

BrittanyLee

Hi!

Just researching things to do in Amber Cove for my upcoming cruise on the Horizon in July! I was hoping that we could make Amber Cove a beach day, but the water doesn't seem to be the best. Has anyone hired a taxi to take them to Puerto Plata and gone to any of the beaches there? I was looking at Playa Dorada or even a bit further down, Sousa Beach. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I was there last Tuesday on the Magic. Here is some information that may help you.

Amber cove is really just a nice private port area with shops and bar / pool. As far as taxis, unless you are a party of 3 or more, taking a taxi can be expensive, below are the rates:

https://www.ambercove.com/port-information/taxi-information.aspx

To visit the beaches or city (Puerto Plata) you will need to take a taxi. I found beaches very nice and the water was clear with comfortable temp for swimming but with high surf. The 2 most popular beaches in that coast are Sosua and Cabarete. Cabarete is very nice but is windy in the afternoon, it is the location of kiteboarding competitions for that reason. It takes almost an hour to get to Cabarete from the port.

We usually do things on our own but we ended up taking a ship tour this time (City tour and Cabarete beach with lunch), since it turned out to be cheaper for the 2 of us. We actually enjoyed the excursion very much, the highlight was Cabarete. We were dropped of at a very nice waterfront restaurant at Cabarete beach which include lounge chairs and plenty of shade. The lunch was awesome and they also had a bar to purchase alcoholic bevs The water felt good but the surf was high, which is fun but not for small children. We spent almost 2 hours there at Cabarete beach before returning in the A/C vehicle back to the port.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

Just researching things to do in Amber Cove for my upcoming cruise on the Horizon in July! I was hoping that we could make Amber Cove a beach day, but the water doesn't seem to be the best. Has anyone hired a taxi to take them to Puerto Plata and gone to any of the beaches there? I was looking at Playa Dorada or even a bit further down, Sousa Beach. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I’m not sure how active / mobile you are, but we did the 27 Waterfalls tour and loved it. It does require some walking and being able to jump / slide off Waterfalls and / or climb down ladders, but was one of the best excursions we have done. I am mid-50s and not in the greatest shape and was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums