Native way vs cruise ship tour to ray

cruisevirginmd

I have a husband who would stress out the entire time about the ship leaving without us. I really want to have a good time on GC and ray city. No one has mentioned using the cruise line tour. We are on RCI and leave on Saturday. Are the guides with the cruise ship enthusiastic and great...are the groups horrendously large? any input? If I have to, I will put up with my husbands stress if there is a phenomenal difference. (He already wont do the tree top canopy tour with me)

THanks in advance!

Very rarely do I use the cruise line tours mostly because of the vast amount of people they normally put on them. and the cost. I have used Nativeway before and Sharon and crew were great. You have to do what you feel comfortable with so good luck and have a great time.

Debbie

We did a ship tour on Celebrity to sting ray city 9 years ago. There were probably 50 or more people on our boat and trying to get personal attention from the tour guides was hard.

After that trip, we went back to Grand Cayman 2 more times and used Nativeway both times. They are wonderful!!!!!!!!! We had no more than 25 people on a tour. They paid attention to all.. and made sure we all had a wonderful time!!!!! It is also about half the price as the ship tour (when you go with nativeway) As far as getting back to the ship on time... The trip out to the sand bar is about 20 minutes by boat and then another 10 minutes or so by car. They know what they are doing there and do this every day. I dont think Eldon has ever gotten anyone back to the ship late. We were even in a bit of traffic this last time and Eldon assured us that we would get back in plenty of time. We had our port time cut by the port authority that day due to weather and our ship was to depart at 2pm instead of the original 4pm time ( or maybe 5 whatever... but we had to be back early and this was told to us before we all disembarked). Anyway, Eldon assured us that when we got to the port that there would be a huge line of people waiting for the tenders and we would still have about a 20 minute wait to get on the ship. And guess what... he was exactly right!!!! In fact, we decided to wait across the street from the line of people and wait til the line got to us...

I have also been told that Eldon can call the port authority to tell them that he is on his way with people.... the ships all use the tenders from the Grand Cayman port authority.

From my personal experience... I would say go with Nativeway... but regardless... do this excursion. No matter how you get there... just being there is the coolest thing ever!!!!! The sting ray are magnificient. This is one of my favorite things to do!!!! ( guess that is why we have cruised to the western caribbean 3 times!!!).

Thank you!!!! You just convinced my husband to go with nativeway. He actually said "if we are left behind it will be an even bigger adventure." (if he is so flippant, it means he doesn't really think we'll get left).

I am going to book tomorrow! DO you have a link or know how to get a hold of them. I leave on Saturday and have no time to lose. You don't know how happy you have made me!

A great big thanks!:D

I do hope that you are able to get a reservation with them on such short notice... but here is their website. http://www.Nativewaywatersports.com it sometimes takes them a day or two to get back to you. If for some reason you do not hear back from them before you leave.... They meet up with their groups early in the morning ( i would say be on the first tender over) and look for Eldon holding the Nativeway sign. They meet up with groups in the gazebo just outside of the tenders. They may have room for you. (or may have added you to the reservation but didnt get back in time).. they sometimes have internet connection issues. It has been a while now since they were hit really hard by the hurricane... but still sometimes have some problems.

If for some reason you do not go with them... do try to book the ships excursion. This is really a wonderful experience.. you wont want to miss it!!!!!

We just returned from the Mariner, and used Nativeway in Cayman. I highly recommend them! They had two boats, 25 people and two or three guides per boat. The guys were wonderful! Made sure we all held a ray if we wanted to, took us snorkeling through the reef (We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour) and then played a rousing few games of beach volleyball with us at Rum Point. We saw other boats come to the sand bar with 100+ people aboard - ugh! We thouroughly enjoyed the day, talking with the guides (ask Sheldon about his 10 month old daughter, just to see his face light up!)

There was a huge traffic jam on the way back, and we just made it to the pier by the last tender time, but not to worry! There were hundreds of people in line - we definitely weren't going to be left behind!

Go and enjoy!

Yes, Sheldon was great. I ws impressed at how responsible he is for seeming so young. He was talking about he used to be a partier, but now that he has a daughter, he has to change his ways......a lot of young parents could learn from him!!! He does his job well, and makes it a nice experience for all.

Archived