Viking River Cruise Adventurers

We are novice river cruise adventurists who will be taking our first Viking River Cruise tour in October 2012 on the "Cities of Lights." I would like to open this forum for all Viking River Cruise travelers who wish to share their experiences. Thank you and I look forward to meeting you all! Mrs_P

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Dr and Mrs P,

My sister and I took our first Viking River Cruise his past March, Rhine Getaway. Neither of us had ever been on a cruise of any kind, so we were novices all the way. We were not disappointed in any aspect of our trip. The captain and crew were all friendly, knowledgeable and extremely hard workers. They all wore many hats and treated each and every passenger as their only priority. With Everything included, we just had a relaxed, fun-filed adventure. The food was 5 star with many many choices at each service. There is a beverage station available 24/7, bottled water was available to take with us on each excursion. The guides were remarkable with their depth of knowledge and their passion. We took two "extra" excursions, one was top rate and the other was just ok. We are both trying to figure out how we can save enough to cruise again. we were really hoping to be able to do the "France's Finest" in November 2013. I am confident that you will enjoy your cruise!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife & I are going to be on the Spirit Paris to Normandy cruise the week of 5/26/13. We are also doing the 3 day Paris post cruise add-on and then spending a few extra days in London.

This is our first time doing a river cruise, so any thoughts you can share will be appreciated.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Taking 1st Viking Cruise 10/27/13 on the Viking Legend. Going single, but am an open, humorous, adventure bound,political, bookworm curious gal. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this cruise:"Danube Waltaz" in Oct. about weather, people you meet, activities, welcoming spirits to a single. I've done 10 ocean cruises over time, but friends/family rave about River cruising. At least I can leave those fancy dresses/gowns at home!!

• 4 months later...

In April 2010 I, my adult daughter and my sister and her husband went to China with VRC. It was the highlight of my life and my bro-in-law said it was the best trip they'd ever been on. Our tour included a five or six day cruise up the Yangtze River on the Viking Century Sun, a great small ship. It has since been replaced with the Emerald, I can't imagine why.

• 1 month later...

Hi! We are Brinda and Jerry Winger from Sterling, Il. We took our first Viking River Cruise in Oct. 2013, Danube Waltz, (Legend) and LOVED every minute. We are getting ready for our second trip with Viking, Cultural Delights China (Emerald), Aug. 2013. We have been on bigger ship cruise liners....not our thing. GOTTA' LOVE VIKING!!! HAPPY TRAVELING!

Loved our China cruise with Viking. Now going to Egypt with Viking Oct 9, 2014.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all! My wife and I have sailed twice with Viking. The first was a 12 day China from Beijing to Xian, 5 days down the Yangtze then to Shanghai. Was a wonderful cruise and my mind is still trying to absorb all the details. The second was Grand European Tour Amsterdam to Budapest. This also was a great cruise not as mind boggling as China but still a great cruise. Viking is a great company for river boating. The ships are small so you get to know your fellow travelers. For you first time cruisers enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, there is no better way to travel than aboard a ship whether it be a large 3000 passenger or the small cozy river boats cruising is the best. Chrises2 the weather in Germany in December will be cold so pack accordingly. The nice thing about Viking is that you do not have to have formal clothing. Again enjoy.

Rusty

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

we are taking the Viking Odin on December 21, 2014 on the Romantic Danube cruise. This is our first Viking cruise. We've been on several cruises on the big ships, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We are so excited. Anyone else going?

Denise

• 1 month later...

My husband and I sailed in the Viking Embla from Budapest to Bucharest, then took the extension through the Carpathian Mountains to Transylvania. We loved it! We were very impressed with Romania--beautiful! Everything was great about the cruise. We are certainly planning on cruising with Viking in the future. I would love to do the one through eastern Germany, and also through China.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are a solo couple sailing on Viking Legend on Sept 21st, 2014 from Budapest to Passau. We have no doubt that we will love this cruise as much as the first Viking River Cruise we took several years ago!

Some posts ask for "advise". May I suggest that you ask specific questions. That would be easier to comment on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My husband and I will be taking the Romantic Danube trip in May of 2015... it will be our first Viking trip.... I am wondering if it is just me, or is Viking not available on the "roll call" section of this website.... I cannot find it... Thanks.

Just changed our reservation from the Viking Akun to the Viking Ingvar. Leaving in July for SPB to Moscow (originally was Moscow to SBP) Waterways of the Tsars. Hope we have made a good choice! We had a reservation date error on our part and Viking was very gracious to make a change for us. We'll be travelling with friends and family on our first Viking cruise.