Just returned....Century W. Carribbean...it was great!!

monibob

Here is a little info from our trip:

It was awesome!! We did lots of fun stuff. The water is beautiful and the Cruise Ship was great!! I want to cruise at least once a year now. This was our first cruise ever for my husband Bobby and I.....It is a must do!!!

We left on Thursday night 060304 at like 10pm.......arrived in Florida on Friday 06-04-04 10am their time....got our rental car and headed to the Hotel, it was right on the water so we could see our ship when it came. We took a nap, actually over slept........we were suppose to go to South Beach the whole day, but slept until 5pm......we headed to South Beach, cruised the BLVD........went to this really really good Cuban restaurant that Bobby loves. I loved it too. Then we walked the BLVD until about 10:30pm, headed back to Ft Lauderdale, did some last min shopping........then headed back to Hotel.

Saturday 06-05-04 woke up at 9am or so got ready...then did a little more shopping and went to get lots of $1 for the trip, returned the car and headed to ship!! Boarded ship like at 12am went straight to cabin 1021........then went to buffet ate lunch & meet up with people that we meet on line....we drank a little walked around ship for a bit, then went back to cabin to get ready for the rest of the cruise.

Sunday 06-06-04....that was first full day at Sea and Formal Night!! We got invited to sit at the Captain's table for Dinner!! Had a blast....drank a lot!! After dinner we saw a show drank a little more, then went to the club on the ship and drank more.........then went to Karaoke drank more.....then back to the club and drank more, then headed back to cabin like at 2:30am or so.....there was a lot of drinking that night.

Monday 06-07-04...arrived in Ocho Rios, Jamaica..........went to Dunn's River Falls...we just took a shuttle to the Falls and paid entrance, didn't book an excursion, it was a lot cheaper this way...it was so much fun......took lots of pictures and used cameras a lot. Went shopping....then to Margaritaville.......ate & drank a little.......then went shopping again.......then went to the beach........then back to ship........

Tuesday 06-08-04.........arrived in Georgetown, Grand Cayman...book a tour with Captain Marvin......went to two snorkeling places, got rained on but it was a blast!! Went to Stingray City and swam with the stingrays.......it was scary at first then it was cool. I held one too. Took lots of pictures of pretty fish and all. Captain Marvin's crew was very kind and we saved money through him.

Wednesday 06-09-04........BOBBY'S BIRTHDAY!! Arrived in Cozumel, Mexico........went horseback riding and saw the ruins, booked this excursion through Celebrity that same morning, kind of a last minute thing......had free beer on bus and at bar at the Ranch where the horses were...after that went to eat at Carlos & Charlie's........had lots to drink!! Went shopping then to the beach.......got back on ship took a nap.....then got ready for dinner and Bobby got sick so he left the table at dinner and that was that.

Thursday 06-10-04.......did lots of napping this was our lazy day!! Eat and Sleep day.........it was also the 2nd Formal night.......and guess what........an officer sat at our table this night.......so we got free drinks again!! It was a good night...did a little Karaoke again.....and that was that.

Friday 06-11-04 arrived in Key West, FL....went to Ripley's Believe It or Not.......saw some crazy stuff.......went shopping and walked a lot........went to eat........then headed back to ship.....

Saturday 06-12-04 arrived in Ft Lauderdale, FL......rushed to airport.......flight was delayed by like 1 1/2 hour.......got home like at 4pm....still haven't been able to rest. The CRUISE was a BLAST.....I really want to cruise at least once a year now!!

Food was great.......kind of disappointed with the Mexican Buffet, but then again I'm Mexican so that is probably why. Other than that everything else was awesome. Sushi was great....our lobster was great....everything was great!! The staff was very friendly and the ship was gorgeous!!

Found out that Beto, my son, had a seizure when we were gone, but he is fine now. My dad had 2 heart attacks yesterday. First one was late like after 10pm, second one was like at 3am, he was air lifted to Palm Springs and is there right now. Came back from our vacation to STRESS!! But as long as my dad & son are ok we will be fine!!

Any question feel free to ask away!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;06;05;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
First cruise ever!! Century.....Western Caribbean!

Glad to hear that you had such a nice time! It sure sounded like everything was care free and fun. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I hope that your son and father are OK.

Jen

1st Cruise on Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 6/4/2004

Sorry for you having to come home to so much stress. Hope everyone is OK.

How did you get so lucky with the Officers? what did yall do to get this treatment?

We are also on the 10th Floor. Was your cabin inside or outside? How was the room.

I have 6 months to go and can't wait.

Celebrity Cruise Lines
Century Dec 18th 2004
Which is also my Birthday.

Monibob;

Thanks so much for the review, it is very informative. We'll be sailing the same itinerary on July 10th. Hope all is well with your family.

Song of Norway 4/88
Horizon 4/01
Millennium 4/03
Century 7/04

How was your cabin? We're booked in 1032 (inside) on the Penthouse deck for a Western C. in November. Did you have any problems with noise from above ora rocky ride...some folks say being up high and near the front is a rougher ride. This will be our first cruise too and I'm so excited-thanks for your review. any hints...what to bring, see, do, eat etc etc.

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]pbk
if your going 7-10-04 then your going to the eastern carib. I know because thats when I'm going. I've done the west now i'm trying the
east but We do love the Century [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jim
I need large cold Boatdrinks!!!
SEA BREEZE 98
OCEAN BREEZE 99
MAJESTY 2000
SENSATION 2001
CENTURY JULY 2003
CENTURY JULY 10 2004

I'm sorry to hear about your family, I hope all is now well with everyone. I'm glad you all had a nice time on your cruise. I sail this Saturday.. I can't wait!! Do you remember if Erol was the bartender in the Rendevous lounge, and who is the Captain? Thanks,

Toni

TIDELOVER-

I have no idea how we got picked the first formal night to sit at the Captain's Table the first formal night, I did asked how we got picked but never got an answer, it's still a mystery, but I'm glad it happened. It was a good experience that we can brag about. And the second formal night there was almost someone that worked on the ship at every table. We happened to have the Officer in charge of the Ship's Food and Beverages...he was from Austria, his name was Christin and was a really really nice guy. Said a lot of jokes and told us a lot about different places he has traveled every where you can imagine.

We had an outside cabin it was CC Cabin. Cabin 1021....which personally I probably will not pick next time. That is the CC Cabin. I will settle with just the "regular" outside cabin. I guess there was just not enough perks for us to spend the extra money again. The fruit was nice every day, but there is so much fruit on the ship that we always left ours in the room to spoil. The chilled Champange was good when we first got to the room, but everyone gets at least a glass if you want when you first board, and honestly it wasn't my favorite brand. And the flowers were nice, but we can do without.....same for the nicer towels, robes...ect....we didn't even pick out our "special pillow" because the ones that were there we ok with us already. The Canapes, we didn't like many of them...didn't eat much of them. We didn't get much extra treatment as anyone else because of the CC Cabin, everyone was just so nice all the way around even if you weren't CC. We did get special Silver Seapass Cards, instead of the regular white ones...and a sticker that said Concierge Class on it, but it was almost all worn off by end of cruise. Even though we heard it was a nightmare for some people in Grand Cayman since we don't dock there and you have to take a ferry or something to land. It was easy for us, so maybe that was one perk, but we don't mind waiting if we have to, just make sure your shore excursion if you didn't book it with the ship is after 9am for sure, if you aren't CC Class. So next time we will opt out on the CC class.....and save some money to spend else where. The room was great, the same size as a "regular" outside cabin, we went inside another cabin that wasn't CC and it was the same size, lots of storage room, loved it!! The shower was actually better than I expected, then again I am kinda on the short side, but my hubby did agree with me and he is taller than me.

It was right below the Aqua Spa, so that meant it was really close to the Pool area and not too far from the Island Cafe and the outside Pool buffet....where they serve the wonderful waffels in the morning, a must try!! So it was great!! We loved it.

VANCLAN-

We had no problem with the noise on top of us at all. There wasn't much noise in the Aqua Spa at all....which was right above us. The Hemisphere Club/Lounge was on top of the the Aqua Spa, and we didn't really hear much from there...at all. Your Cabin will be right below the Pool area, and at night it is usually really quite there. So I don't think you will have any problems. Unless you plan on napping when they are having their day time activities. Which I doubt.

There was one rocky night, but that was for everyone, that was Wednesday night, it was really rocky, but nothing to ruin the night. We had friends on the 8th Deck and it was just as rocky for them as it was for us that night. I don't think it really made that much of a difference, then again we did have good weather most of the time.

As far as what to bring.....don't over pack...I did, but it's ok, it was my first cruise. I got a really good packing list form these boards and pretty much packed anything I thought I needed. Next time I know to pack less shoes and less clothes, I think it's just a girl thing. We want shoes to match every outfit, and we want more than one outfit a day. And in reality a pair of black and white sandles would have done it and a nice pair of dress shoes....and on days you are in Port you are usually in a bathing suit top with shorts or something like that. And I'm sure you can wear the same shorts more than once, nobody will care.

I think the Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios and Stingray City in Grand Cayman is a must. And from what I hear Paradise Beach Club in Cozumel is great. I wish we would have tried it. There is a Post about it that Tuggers started I would read it, and there was a couple of other people on our cruise that tried it and loved it as well. You can take a shuttle at Port in Ocho Rios to the Falls and just pay entrance when you get there. And in Grand Cayman I recommend going with Captain Marvin. The horseback riding in Cozumel was fun, it was my first time horseback riding. But it was kind of slow at times. Especially when the horse didn't want to move and would rather eat, this was the only excursion we booked through the cruiseline, it was fun but kind of expensive now that I think about it. Try it if you've never been horseback riding or if you want a few free drinks & drink as much as you can to get your $$ worth, it's a nice shaded area to ride a horse, then go to Paradise Beach Club once your are done. You will have pleanty of time still.

TONI1266-

I didn't run into any bartenders in the Rendevous lounge, we always got our drinks from a waiter, so sorry I have no idea if Erol was the bartender. The Captain is from Greece.....not sure on his name. And when you get invited to sit at the Captain's Table that doesn't mean the Captain will be sitting with you. In our case we got lucky and had the Chief Engineer(Mr Draziotis) & the 2nd Chief Engineer (Mr Zavounis), sit with us. I say we got lucky because I've heard of people getting invited to the table and it's the Doctor of the ship, Hotel Manager or someone else......not saying they aren't important people, but the Chief Engineer is right below the Captain, so it was a good thing for us, at least I thought so.

SUSIEM-

You will love your cabin....like I stated before though, I will opt out on CC Cabin next time, but I will definetly always book an outside cabin. It's awesome being able to just look out at the Sea from your room, and coming into Port and seeing the Land with out having to get dressed at all. You will love it. We stayed up late most nights at the Hemisphere so it was perfect for us we didn't have to walk far to get to the room. It was so close!!

And as an FYI to anyone. I'm 25 & hubby is 29, the music in the Hemispher was not too great so don't say I didn't warn you, but after a few drinks and as long as you are with the right people you will have fun hearing the same 20 songs all night!! Don't be shy and go try the Karaoke!! We did....it was a blast....

My son is doing good....this wasn't his first seizure and probably won't be his last. My hubby used to have them when he was younger so I'm sure there is more to come, good thing my mother in law is used to it already!! My father will be in the hospital for the next few days, they are trying to avoid surgery and hope that the medication will clear his clogged artery.....something like that. I'll be visiting him this weekend of course!!

Thanks everyone for your concerns!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;06;05;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
First cruise ever!! Century.....Western Caribbean!

[This message was edited by monibob on 06-15-04 at 08:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by monibob on 06-15-04 at 08:56 PM.]

[This message was edited by monibob on 06-15-04 at 09:08 PM.]

Monibob: Glad you had a great trip. Hope everyone's health is improving.
We are booked in a CC cabin on 9/11 for the Western. A couple of questions. Does the CC status entitle you to priority tendering? If so, can we confidently book a 9:30 excursion to Stingray City in Cayman, or are we better off going with a Noon one (it's a 2 1/2hr. excursion)?. Also, did the ship generally adhere to its published departure/arrival schedule? I know weather impacts this, but just curious. Thanks. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
'til the cruise of the Century

Celebrity Horizon '97
RCCL Sovereign '98
Grand Princess '99
RCCL Enchantment '00
Ocean Princess '01
RCCL Radiance '02
Golden Princess 4/5/03
RCCL Navigator 1/10/04
Celebrity Century 9/11/04
Diamond Princess-Alaska 9/05

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
PBK
It was a hope that more than 10 of us are on the ship that week oh well I hope you have a great trip we will try not to mess it up to badly for you [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Jim
I need large cold Boatdrinks!!!
SEA BREEZE 98
OCEAN BREEZE 99
MAJESTY 2000
SENSATION 2001
CENTURY JULY 2003
CENTURY JULY 10 2004

SCREWBIT-

Stick to the 9:30 excursion......the CC status does entitle you to priority tendering, but the only place you need that in Western Caribbean is in Grand Cayman. But we had friends that didn't have CC and they had a shore excursion at 8am and they still made it. You just have to speak to Guest Relations and they are usually really helpful getting you off when you need to, even if you didn't book your excursion with them.

We had a 9:30 excursion to Stingray City with Captain Marvin and we made it in time we ate breakfast in the cabin that morning and left the cabin at 8:15am, got straight to the tendering area and then had to wait for like 10-15mins till the ferry was full to the max to leave to land. It wasn't a good experience having to wait, the ferry was really rocky and hot. I was sick by the time we got to land. And it was filled with CC and non CC people. That is why I don't think that I would pay extra for CC again, because if you speak to guest relations you pretty much will be able to make it off in time. It would have been nice if they had just one ferry dedicated for people in CC or Suites, but they didn't. And we made in time for the excursion and had lots of time to spare. Our friends had to wait in the Celebrity Theater and be called by a number, but they made it in time because they spoke to guest relations about how important it was for them to leave early.

And we had a flight at 9:50am to fly back home. We did have the earliest time slot avail to disembark but I know next time to book a later flight, since the earliest time to disembark was 8:30am. We got lucky and headed straight to the front of line and didn't check our luggage in the night before, since we knew we would be in a hurry.

So all in all......we will not book CC again....

And the timing was pretty good except in Key West, since some people didn't pay attention to how important it was to go through immigration, they held us up from being able to leave the ship. But it was in Port in time =)

Century - W. Caribbean June 2004

Hi Monica! Lee and I were sorry to hear about Beto and your dad, but I'm glad to hear that they both seem to be doing better.

We're also addicted to cruising. Lee and I are already looking into a cruise for next year and we're not even back from FL yet. But it's never too early to start planning right?

Give our best to Bobby!

I hope everyone continues to get better.

Heather

Century - W. Caribbean - June 5, 2004

Hi Heather & Lee,

Thanks for the support, I miss the ship so much already and want to book another cruise too. But we are going to hold out and see how everything goes. But we will be booking another for sure, just not exactally sure when it will be.....or where to. Hopefully soon, and hopefully somewhere very nice.

And it is never to early to start planning at all. I'll tell Bobby you guys said hi.....and keep in touch with us...not sure if I gave you my e-mail address, but here it is.....lovingmoni79@yahoo.com, don't be a stranger!! And make sure to call us if you are ever in San Diego!!

Monica =)

Century - W. Caribbean June 2004

Archived