Transfer to airport.

CACSSC

I’m trying to plan and prebook as much as I can. Our ship says it will arrive in Civitavecchia at 6:00AM. We need to be at the airport in Rome at 1:00 (flight at 3:00). Do any experienced cruisers know if I would be relatively safe in booking a train ticket that leaves about 10:50AM?  I could also just wait and try to book a ticket at the station but I’m worried they might be sold out at that point. Any advice?  

Neither of the Rome airports are in Rome. The train from Civitavecchia will take you to Rome Trastavere where you will need to change trains to Leonardo Da Vinci Airport. There is a train from Civitavecchia at 10:44 AM which takes 1 hour 28 minutes. Thanks Google.

Just a word of caution with rail travel in Italy, especially from Civitavecchia.

Trains are often late/cancelled or on strike. Locals often protest at Civitavecchia that they cannot get on trains due to the number of cruise line passengers boarding. As mentioned there isn't a direct service to the airports so a change is necessary.

More reliable is to pre-book a private transfer. Please don't rely on a cab as you will have to use the free port shuttle bus to the port entrance and despite Civitavecchia being a major cruise port, the number of local cabs is minimal, and so you will be waiting a long time for one.

I can recommend https://www.romecabs.com/

Many people organise a shared private shuttle to lower the per person cost.

Pre booked shuttles are also allowed into the port area and so you will normally disembark, collect your bags and the driver is outside the terminal.