Walking tours in Dubrovnik and Split

We will be in Dubrovnik on September 26, our second time there.  There will be a total of four ships in port that day with a possible total of nearly 8000 passengers.

We would like to book a walking tour when we arrive but I am worried that with so many tourists there, it might be difficult to find one that is available. We would like to do the same when we arrive in Split two days later but fortunately ours will be the only ship in port that day with around 2650 passengers, so waiting to book upon arrival there will hopefully be more feasible. We would appreciate any advice on this. 

In Dubrovnik we just did the walls and town on our own but we did a fabulous walking tour in Split in May with Josko Zovic - one of the best ever!  He offers 3 options, each building on the prior one.  We did the 4 hour Grand History Tour and really enjoyed it.  He limits the tour to 8 people so reach out to him ASAP.  I've copied the tour descriptions that he sent me at the time.  Reach out to him at stcitytour@gmail.com if you are interested.

1-CLASSIC SPLIT TOUR (2h, Diocletian's Palace-Roman Times in Split.This tour is basic, focused on exploration of Palace with highlights and stories about Roman Emperor Diocletian who built it and Split in Ancient Times.It is nice overview about the heart of Split-Diocletian's Palace)
PRICE (Cellars ticket 6 EUR/person is INCLUDED):
-30 EUR/person=60 EUR(for 2 pax)

2-TOTAL SPLIT TOUR (3h, Diocletian's Palace & Old Town-Roman Times & Medieval Ages in Split.This tour is extended Classic Tour, we explore Old Town after Palace with stories from Medieval Ages about living in Split.)
-45 EUR/person=90 EUR(for 2 pax)

3-GRAND HISTORY TOUR (4h, Roman & Medieval Times in Split
+ Croatia during ex-Yugoslavian Communist Era 1945-1990 & Croatian Homeland War for Independence 1991-1995.This is the most comprehensive and significant tour in Split which includes recent history with my first hand experiences in both of them.I am 43 so I experienced 14 years of living in Communism and I was teenager during the Homeland War...all very interesting).On this tour after exploration of Palace and Old Town we usually sit down at local tavern for drink or lunch together and I share personal stories and some history maps from communistic days with guests for better understanding of recent history.My groups are very small and tours are casual and informal so everybody likes this personal touch of tour when we share drinks or meals together as well.
-60 EUR/person=120 EUR(for 2 pax) 
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 6:18 PM, NCMom99 said:

In Dubrovnik we just did the walls and town on our own but we did a fabulous walking tour in Split in May with Josko Zovic - one of the best ever!  He offers 3 options, each building on the prior one.  We did the 4 hour Grand History Tour and really enjoyed it.  He limits the tour to 8 people so reach out to him ASAP.  I've copied the tour descriptions that he sent me at the time.  Reach out to him at stcitytour@gmail.com if you are interested.

1-CLASSIC SPLIT TOUR (2h, Diocletian's Palace-Roman Times in Split.This tour is basic, focused on exploration of Palace with highlights and stories about Roman Emperor Diocletian who built it and Split in Ancient Times.It is nice overview about the heart of Split-Diocletian's Palace)
-30 EUR/person=60 EUR(for 2 pax)

2-TOTAL SPLIT TOUR (3h, Diocletian's Palace & Old Town-Roman Times & Medieval Ages in Split.This tour is extended Classic Tour, we explore Old Town after Palace with stories from Medieval Ages about living in Split.)
-45 EUR/person=90 EUR(for 2 pax)

3-GRAND HISTORY TOUR (4h, Roman & Medieval Times in Split
+ Croatia during ex-Yugoslavian Communist Era 1945-1990 & Croatian Homeland War for Independence 1991-1995.This is the most comprehensive and significant tour in Split which includes recent history with my first hand experiences in both of them.I am 43 so I experienced 14 years of living in Communism and I was teenager during the Homeland War...all very interesting).On this tour after exploration of Palace and Old Town we usually sit down at local tavern for drink or lunch together and I share personal stories and some history maps from communistic days with guests for better understanding of recent history.My groups are very small and tours are casual and informal so everybody likes this personal touch of tour when we share drinks or meals together as well.
-60 EUR/person=120 EUR(for 2 pax) 

On 8/29/2019 at 8:56 AM, DomerCruisers said:

Thank you NCMOM99 for your recommendation for a private tour guide in Split.  We have contacted Josko and he replied quickly. We have his Total Split Tour scheduled for our port day of Oct.12, 2019.  He has very positive reviews on Trip Advisor also.  We are looking forward to a great tour. Again many thanks.

So glad this worked for your DomerCruisers and I hope you enjoy your time with Josko as much as we did!  Have a great cruise.

I see you're in Wilmington.  We are in Charlotte area and have family in Wilmington.  Stay safe from Hurricane Dorian.

5 hours ago, NCMom99 said:

So glad this worked for your DomerCruisers and I hope you enjoy your time with Josko as much as we did!  Have a great cruise.

I see you're in Wilmington.  We are in Charlotte area and have family in Wilmington.  Stay safe from Hurricane Dorian.

We are watching the weather channel and hoping Dorian stays out to sea. We evacuated for 8 days last year with hurricane Florence. Luckily we had no damage, but some areas did not fare as well. There are people who still have blue tarps on their roofs. Thank you for your concern. Josko has responded quickly to our emails.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, Toodloo321 said:

I think I am on your cruise -- are you on HAL? Which tour are your going to sign up for with Josko? 

Yes, we are on the Koningsdam, September 24th departure. I am just getting around to contacting Josko and am hoping that it's still possible to join one of his tours on Sept.28.  I think I will request the 2 hour classic Split tour.

Are you planning to take one of his tours?

On 8/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, Toodloo321 said: