Review of 1/12/06 Star Mexico

Pengawin3

I'm still waiting for my review to be posted in the Member Review section so I thought I'd post here for those of you wanting info NOW.

Highlights:

Embarkation took around an 1 hour start to finish. From drop off to cabin, not bad IMO. Steward who showed us cabin didn't take a single bag from my DH or myself!

Cabin nice, but dusty. Bad "art" across from bed. Had to cover with bath towel! Balcony wonderful!! Closet in a wacky place by bed.

Food in pay restaurants really good. Food in "free" restaurants just so-so, with the exception of a polenta and eggplant dish in Aqua first night and a great sliced beef sandwich my DH had in Versaille at lunch. Endless Summer had THE WORST EXCUSE FOR ENCHILADAS I have ever had! The sauce was far more Tex than Mex. Buffet was okay. Salads were always good tho.

High praise goes to all at Ginza!! Teppanyaki, sushi and Asian menus were all very tasty and well presented. Service was perfect!! Probably the best on the ship. Sushi is served for lunch on sea days! ($10 all you can eat!)

Le Bistro had yummy steaks, but the service was a bit inattentive. Soho had great service but only ate there once due to my allergies and the menu choices. Skipped Cagney's since we live in Colorado and have access to prime beef.

Star bar Martini Clinics with Arthur were a highlight. They are held during sea days...you won't be sorry. Clinics are held three times and cost $15 pp each time. You'll get a great lesson AND four 5 ounce martinis for that price!

(All drinks on board were pricey, but well made!)

Ports were basic. Have been to Mexico many times, so we really went for the ship and to try Freestyle. Didn't do any tours.

Spa was wonderful. Had hot stone massage for couples during a port day. Was on sale. Free use of sauna, steam, pools, jacuzzi in Spa was the BEST. No one under 18 admitted!!! :)

The shows were what one expects on a cruise ship. The featured Russian dance couple were phenomenal! Didn't get to the Cirque show since we had late dinner reservations. YES the seats in the theatre DO SLOPE FORWARD making them odd and uncomfortable for me. In fact, most seating on the ship was uncomfortable for me (size 18-20) and my DH (6'2").

All in all, a beautiful ship with a wonderful Filipino crew who are great at making one feel welcome and spoiled. (Our room steward was basically invisible, and did the bare minimum though. No towel animals for us :( )

We find the food and service better on Celebrity, the cabins are bigger on Carnival, and the value is better on Celebrity AND Carnival. We actually prefer set dining times, so Freestyle just isn't really for us.

btw: I'm in my early 40's and my DH is in his mid 30's with 8+ cruises under our belts. We had a mini-suite on deck 11 that was well priced and our bill for extras was $1200 for the week (I felt it was HIGH). We ate in charge restaurants 5 nights, sushi for lunch twice, had a couples massage, the $79 Romance package (great deal, included a dinner for two and wine at LeBistro!!), had a couple bottles of wine during the week, and about 4 drinks each per day.

Hope this has been helpful.

Thanks for the review. We are going on the 10/29th cruise.

You mentioned the free use of the spa pol etc. Is that only if you purchase a massage or is it open to anyone at anytime they are open?

Thanks.

Louise

Thanks for posting. yes it did help all reviews help!

Did you stay on the ship at the ports? If not please tell us what you did on your own. I love to read what everyone does in port.

Thanks

Thanks for the review -

You live in Grand Junction? Can you stop by my brother's house and give my nieces and nephew a hug? They live in Battlement Mesa down in Parachute. I'm sad.... :(

Awwwww, why so sad?

Pengawin3,

Did you notice if the STAR was offering the Murder Mystery dinner yet? I read that they had stopped it over the holidays and am hoping they start it up again, it was so much fun last April.

:)

Murder mystery dinner WAS offered. Didn't do it tho. Heard they got a good response and lots of participants.

Also, chocoholic buffet moved to Midnight. Used to be in the afternoon, I hear.

Thanks for posting. yes it did help all reviews help!

Did you stay on the ship at the ports? If not please tell us what you did on your own. I love to read what everyone does in port.

Thanks

Judyf: we basically stayed on the ship while in port. Ventured out to downtown PV. Took a van into town and walked around and shopped. Had a lovely lunch at Tacos Los Arcos (it's below Hooters). Hole in the wall place with incredibly yummy food that's oh so inexpensive! Cheap, very cold, dos XX beer too. Taxi back to ship, then a short walk to WalMart for Pepsi products! Seemed to have the best shopping right by the ship in the Flea Market. They are needing the sales, so will make great deals especially first thing in the morning.

We ventured out to the Mazatlan flea market(s) right by the ship. They have good tees, sun dresses and cigars here. Also, another chance for REAL Mexican food and cheap beer right off the ship!

Hope this is helpful.

Archived