ARMONIA - General Questions

ihhk2

Hi all,

Booked for a cruise this summer and have a few ??'s:

1. Do they have anything akin to CCL's Soda Card (unlimited sodas for like $30/week)? I drink ALOT of Diet Coke, but fear I might go broke buying it.

2. If we embark early in the day, can we then leave the ship to explore more of Venice, or are we required to stay on the ship?

3. Are cabs readily available at debarkation to take us to a hotel in Venice?

Thanks!

1. there are special offers for 7 bottles of water and 7 bottles of wine for a pretty descent price

2. of course you can leave the ship. just make sure you'll be back before the ship leaves port :D

3. the only "cabs" i've seen were the small taxi / bus - like boats which you can take to get to the "city"

Thanks for your input. We heard about the 7/7 specials, offered while boarding and will likely take advantage of them. However, I'm concerned about Diet Coke... can't be without it, you know!;)

Good to know we can debark in Venice. We wanted to check in as soon as possible, but once our luggage and check-in are handled, want to go back into Venice.

Are the water taxis easy to use if you have a ton of luggage?? I just can't imagine getting on/off water vehicles with luggage!

There is certainly a non alcoholic cocktail deal which I believe is aimed at children but I do know an adult who bought it. I would recommend bringing soda back from port visits. There is a refrigerator in your cabin (not a lot of space though!)

You can take a water Taxi from the port but be warned, these are very expensive! Your hotel may have their own water transport, it is certainly worth asking them. It is easy enough dragging luggage on and off water buses but it is a chore! Do not expect to find porters anywhere in Venice and do check that your hotel has an elevator!

Water taxis are like cabs in the US--just you and your group. Water buses are, as the name implies, like public transportation--and very crowded in the summer. harder to manage with lots of luggage but cheaper than taxis. Be forewarned--sometimes standing-room-only buses lead to lots of pocket picking, especially during tourist season. Keep ahold of your purses and bags and make sure they aren't easy to zip open and reach into. By the way, there isn't any public land transport in Venice--the canals are the streets. It is great city to walk around in--you can get a detailed map at lots of places.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the information. I have already told kellyzcc (my companion on this trip) that we shouldn't expect any kind of help whatsoever with our bags and that we need to be able to handle everything on our own.

As for pickpockets and such, I have one of those pouches that fits UNDER your shirt and will keep other things zipped and locked unless needed. I'm sure you can look away for a brief second and suddenly be out cash, camera, and whatever else is appealing.

Archived