Another Bare Escentuals question

Tiger Shark

After reading so many glowing reviews for BE on this board, and on another, I decided to order the starter kit from Sephora. I watched the DVD, and I'm fairly sure I'm doing the Swirl, Tap, Buff technique correctly but it looks like nothing is on my face. I'm sort of frustrated. I thought this was going to be great for covering my hyperpigmentation, scars, etc. These things were specifically mentioned in the DVD. But after applying the foundation twice using the technique I still look the same as I do without any makeup at all. I am using the Skin Rev-er Upper before applying the foundation, so that's not the problem. I am using the Kabuki brush for full coverage.

What am I doing wrong? All of you ladies seem to love this product and I just don't get it. Please help me!:confused:

Quick question? Did you use the mineral veil? It is more important than the foundation.

I like bare escentuals but have found that Jane Iredale works better for me. I order it from the medi-spa store which usually has discounts noted on there web site.

Hannah

The look of bareMinerals IS to be as if you're not wearing make-up at all. It should sort of blend into your skin and, IMO, works well to even out the skin tone. However, hyperpigmentation, blemishes, etc. can be covered but require an additional step. Try the little concealer brush (I can't remember if it has another name, but it has a long handle with stiff, small brush) just over the areas that need additional coverage. Make sure to feather the edges. I have used various forms of concealer and have never found anything that works better and is less noticeable than the bareMinerals foundation.

Yes, I have been using the Mineral Veil after applying the foundation. Should I apply it before the foundation? I think I read that somewhere but can't remember where. I'm also using the concealer brush on the dark spots but it's just not giving the coverage I was hoping for. The DVD and all info. I have read about BE states it offers medium to full coverage. I really need the full coverage but I don't think I'm going to get it.

Any other suggestions?:(

I don't know what BE concealer is like so not sure if this is similar or different -

I ordered sheer cover (saw Leeza Gibbons infomercial) and there is a little "pot" of two colors of concealer that cover up the redness I have on my face. Then I use the minerals, then the final covering (can't remember all the correct terms). It helps cover up my redness and I was sceptical as the infomercial shows it covering up birth marks.

I think it comes with a guarantee that if you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund. the website is www.sheercover.com

I had the same problem. I needed to cover up redness and no matter how many layers of the regular powder I used it didn't work. I finally purchased the bisque concealer. It has worked wonders. I use it with the kabuki brush and the smaller concealer brush. I apply the rever upper and then use the small brush and bisque on any blemishes and under my eyes. Then I use the kabuki and bisque all over my face. After that I use a mixture of the two different shades of makeup topped with mineral veil. I honestly don't even have to use the regular makeup. I can just use the bisque and mineral veil. I know it means another purchase but I now love BE more than anything I have ever used. Good luck

I don't know what BE concealer is like so not sure if this is similar or different -

It is not a separate concealer, but rather just the use of a different brush to put on the foundation in a concentrated spot. I have had luck with this under my eyes and on areas that may have a little sun damage. It is very different from liquid foundation and I'd say it took me quite awhile to accept and eventually love the way my skin looks. I was so accustomed to trying to cover everything up that it just took some getting used to. I feel I look more natural now, but can still cover the little spots and because it's exactly the same product, it's exactly the same color and there's no telltale line from the concealer spots.

As for the bisque, I bought some of this for the undereye area because I'd read other glowing reviews, but I have to say I was not impressed. Maybe it's because it is so close to my foundation color (1.2 light) that it's really not doing anything more for me?

I love BE and have been using it for a couple of years....For covering red spots, age spots, small lines, discoloaration....use the small brush, using the foundation....do the same swirl/tap/brush procedure, use the brush in the areas you want finer coverage....then use the kabuki brush....again...swirl, tap, brush...the more you brush/buff with the Kabuki the more coverage...then finish with mineral veil. I have read on a BE site that many BE users put a light coating of MV on first, then use the small brush, then the kabuki....

Just one more bit of advice. I find that sometimes the bisque just doesn't

give the complete coverage I am looking for, especially around the nose area. I have found that Lauren Hutton has the best concealer I have ever

used. I used this in conjunction with the Bare Minerals and I get exceptional coverage.

Mary

I've been using B.E. for a few years and would never go back to regular make up.

One suggestion if you are having trouble with coverage - try going one shade darker on the foundation. I had the same problem in the beginning and one shade darker did the trick.

As far as re-applying, the only time I re-apply is if I am going out after work. I use rice paper for shiny areas during the day and that is all I need.

Hope this helps.

I need some advice too. I'm a redhead. Therefore, I have lots of freckles and my skin is fair...that is, except for my face which is pinkish/red. Do any of you think that Bare Escentuals makeup could help hide the redness? Sephora offers a "get started kit" which seems like a pretty good deal. Also, which kit should I buy, the "fairly light/light"?

Thanks!

Pamela

It's tough to answer the question of which color to buy without seeing you and the makeup together. If you can get yourself to a Sephora store, they'll have trial sizes which should help make your choice.

If you can't see it in advance in the store, try this site: http://www.beaddicts.com/befoundation.html which has descriptors of the colors.

BTW, I received an email from http://www.ulta.com this morning. They have a trial kit which is priced at $45. This is a good option for someone just starting with BareMinerals. It doesn't have all the brushes that the other kit which is or was available for $60 but it has two foundation shades, a brush, mineral veil and warmth (which I never use, but it's worth checking out since it's included) and the instructional DVD.

Thanks to all the recommendations on the BE threads, I stopped by a local Ulta store about a week ago and had a makeover with BE. I have lots of blemishes, etc. to hide, and the Summer Bisque concealer works wonders! They applied it first with the concealer brush and then put the regular foundation color on over the concealer. I have been VERY happy with the results. The concealer covers things that no other concealer could (including freckles). For me, it was worth getting the in-store makeover since I probably wouldn't have picked out the right colors myself. When mentioning Warmth, they said it wasn't for me and gave me something else in a different color instead. The starter kit would have been a less expensive introduction to BE though. The starter kit would probably have made me pretty happy had I gone that way, just not quite AS happy. Now I know what all the exitement over this product is about! Thank you everyone for posting!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my B.M. Starter kit. I to had a couple of questionable areas to cover. I found 1) That the lighter foundation is better for my "winter" complextion. However I do belive that I will need the concealer bisque. Sold sepeartley . For the circles under my eyes. I Can't wear make up at work so looking natural is much better after no makeup all week. I am impressed with how it covers. /remember this is a starter kit. You may need to modify it a little to get it just right. I know I will.

All in all I am happy with what I see and will throw out the old makeup.

I use 3 different BE foundations to get me through a calendar year. Summer - Medium beige. Fall - medium beige transitioning into Light. Winter - light mixed with Fairly Light. Spring - Light transitioning into Medium Beige when I tan. I have a separate jar that I do the mixing in and mix a pretty good sided batch so I don't have to every day only about once every 2 or 3 weeks.

I also use summer bisque as a concealer. When I have a real whopper of a blemish I DO have to use a regular concealer. I use Arbonne International. It covers well and blends into the BE makeup.

I know it sounds overwhelming, but I promise that once you practice and use the makeup for a few weeks, you're a pro and can do it anytime.:)

I had been using BE for awhile when I went in for a "demo" at a salon. The lady who did it spent waaaay more time applying the foundation than I had been spending, and it made a huge difference! Take your time and buff, buff, buff with a medium firm touch - in other words, don't just feather it over the top of your skin. Other pcs of advice here were great too - the bisque is wonderful, covers well when using the concealer brush.

Hi, Based on the rave reviews on this thread, about a week ago I got the BE starter kit a Sephora. I love the look, and picked-up on the technique pretty quickly, but now I am noticing that my skin is very, very dry. I use Origins Perfect World Moisturizer and haven't had any problems with dry skin for years. Now I am flaky and dry. I routinely exfoliate. The only new product is the BE. Is this just me, or is this a common side effect? I hate to stop using it, but the dry skin is driving me crazy. Thanks, Lauren

see Norway, I'm guessing it's not that your skin has become dry but rather that the BareMinerals has that effect on the way your skin looks. That is the only drawback I can think of. It sure does accentuate fine lines, etc.

If anybody has any solutions, I'd also be interested.

Are you all using the Skin Revver-Upper before you put on your BE? I use it plus a tiny bit of Clinique moisturizer in areas that tend to be driest and I don't notice being any drier overall. The S R-U is very light, can be used alone in warmer months.

I also tried BE for about a month --- I loved how it LOOKED, but after a couple weeks, I started noticing some irritation and dryness on my face, despite applying more and more moisturizer...I finally stopped using it and my face returned to normal---now I just use the BISQUE (which is fab-u-lous) for extra coverage, and went back to my Victoria Jackson foundation (for more coverage) and Za dual-use (wet or dry) foundation (for everyday) and are finally "satisfied". I DO have very SENSITIVE skin, which is why I bought BE in the first place, but I guess I must be in the minority in that it had an adverse effect on me...

Thanks Seasoned Traveler - I too have sensative skin, so I thought BE would be great for me. My skin is now dry and flakey without the make up on. I use the S R-U, and am now applying a lot more moisturizer, but things seem to be getting worse. I think I am going to stop using the BE for a few days to see what happens. This makes me sad, since I really do LOVE the look and the feel of BE.

Archived