any adoptive families traveling to Guatemala?

janekowlaski

My two sons were adopted as infants from Guatemala and we are traveling back there with them on the ncl sun. I was just wondering if there were any other adoptive families out there?

also, I was a bit worried about reaction from locals- some may not be as supportive of the adoption of guatemalan children, I know that there were definitely concerns from adoptive families in guatemala city proper.

thanks!

What an interesting topic. My daughter was born in Guatemala, but she is mine so no one can tell by looking at her that she was born there. She doesn't speak a word of Spanish, though. And she (at 29) is very excited about going to Guatemala.

Do you speak Spanish? Perhaps, if so, you can practice what you might want to say if some one actually asks you about the children. They probably will not get too personal with you about it, but you never know. They will be calling you Mama, so everyone will know they are yours.

Another thought. There is an orphanage somewhat near the pier in Santo Tomas, so just realize that not only did you get two adorable children, but you saved them from the fate of being parentless and having to live in an orphanage. Heart rending, isn't it?

I had a friend who had hereditary MS and was told she should not have children, so adopted twins from the Yucatan, but Mexico. The children were obviously hers, by their actions toward her, and she never encountered any problems when she returned to show them where they were born.

Are you anticipating that your children will say "these people look like me?" You can make it into an educational experience for everyone. Have a wonderful time!

Archived