Brillance of the Seas Transatlantic - November 7

Zurichguy

tony, leo and I will be in villefranche on our first segment before we get to barcelona, and then, of course, we stop there again on the second segment. so if you come up with anything on your research that you want us to check out for you in villefranche before you board in barcelona let me know. we will probably do not much more than go around locally - we were in monte carlo last year, been to nice twice and up to st paul de vence and eze and did the pefume factory trip to grasse, and much of that we wouldn't choose to repeat. monaco-monte carlo is kind of a bore, lots of glitz and high rises and fancy cars - miami beach on the mediterranean with better scenery. juan, good to see you back on the boards again. hugh:)

All:

Villefrance Sur Mer is quite small. It's actually more like a village or town and there is practically nothing to do there. Ships anchors there because it is a very deep harbor and cannot anchor at Nice, Cannes, or Monte Carlo. I predict that very few people will actually stay in town. Unless that is all that they want to do. Most people depart from there on tours or go to the train station to spend the day somewhere else. That's what we did when we were there in 2004. Have already been to Monte Carlo and Monaco (loved it!) so this time I'll be doing something else. Looking at Nice and Eze or St. Paul de Vence. Hugh, what did you think of these towns? Reports that I have read state that they are beautiful and that the views from up there are spectacular. Let me know your thoughts. Also, just realized that you have indicated earlier that Leo needs a wheelchair so your options outside of Villefrance may be limited unless you do take part on a tour.

Chat again with all of you later.

Thanks for the input on Villefranche. I actually love little towns with all their charm and heritage. I like to experience how they live and the things they do on a regular basis. I just didn't want to truck all the way to Monaco and waste alot of time, when I can see much more and do things closer to the ship. Surely, we don't want to miss the boat, so to speak! Will check out some of those places you mentioned that are closer. Who knows, with all of the indecision of my other half, we may end up in Monaco anyway!!! LOL! See Ya, Tony

juan, what I meant was that since we have been to all the other possibilities, we will be more than content to push around villefranche; I know it has lots of uphill cobblestone streets which look charming but not accessible. so we'll go ashore late, stay on the waterfront and probably eat lunch; there are a couple of good restaurants right on the waterfront. keep in mind, we will be there twice, only 4 days apart. we have also done cannes with the wheelchair and nice. if you are interested, st paul de vence is spectacular; it sits high up in the hills - actually on a hilltop. it's an old walled town, narrow, windy streets with lots of steps and it is an artist's mecca. full galleries and boutiques and good restaurants. the most famous - and expensive - is colombe(sp?) d'or; it's on the main road just outside the village. google on to st paul and they have a lot of info. the last time we were in cannes a couple of years ago we pushed all along the waterfront from the tender landing by the convention center to the carlton hotel - went in there, read the papers, used the elegant marble pissoir with linen towels and watched all the elegant tourists! keep in mind that leo and I will have been to villefranche again before you join us in barcelona, so as I told tony, if you want us to check anything out or get info from the tour desk on board, just say so. hugh:)

Hi Hugh:

What a relief! I see now that you do have some information on Villefranche. I was really concerned that you may not have had any knowledge of the town and then would have been in for an unpleasant surprise when you got off for the first time as it is not very handicap accessible as you have already noted.

So many thanks for the recommendation on St. Paul de Vence. Honestly, I have been looking at the tours available and have been at a complete loss as to what to choose. I would like to do Cannes as well as Nice but all of the Cannes tours include Monaco/Monte Carlo and we were already there in 2004 and spent the entire day there. Funny that you mentioned the Carlton Hotel and what fun you had there. We did the same thing at the Hotel de Paris in Monte Carlo and had a blast. We were there for a few hours having drinks and watching the world go by and then had a marvelous lunch at one of its restaurants. A completely unforgettable day! Oh my! All of these memories are only serving to get me more anxious for our cruise. I CAN'T WAIT!!! OK. Gotta get a hold of myself.

Talk to all of you guys again later, Juan

watch that "getting ahold of myself". :D you know that if you wanted to do cannes or nice on your own without the monte carlo bit, there is excellent train service from villefranche to both nice and cannes and the train stations are very convenient in all. check out Nice under europeports.com

Hi Hugh:

Have gone into some of the fields under Europeports. Unless I'm missing something or have not found it, I didn't see any useful information on this website. I believe that it may be because there are other fields there that I was already aware of. Did I miss something?

Juan

no juan, you didn't miss anything; I did. it is europeportreviews.com and there are about 5 pages of ports. you just have to search for the ones that you are interested in and they all seem to have links to other details.

mea culpa hugh:confused:

Hey guys,

Thanks for noticing my absence. I'm still here; I've just been busy with work. I was in California all last week for business so now I'm back in Baltimore and getting re-settled. It's always a gret feeling to get home to your own bed again.

Justin and I still have not made our hotel reservations in Barcelona. I'll make them soon because of that boat show you mentioned.

I was sad to see the bad comments about Iberia Airlines -- that's who I'm using to get to Barcelona. I cashed-in my American Airlines miles and they are flying me from Baltimore to Miami and then Iberia flies me from Miami to Barcelona (via Madrid).

Justin got a great deal on a flight from Baltimore to JFK to Dublin to Barcelona on Aer Lingus. That price was way too good to pass up. So, he's flying on a different airline than me but we should arrive in Barcelona within an hour of each other on November 4.

Tuxedo information: I think I read that we have 3 formal nights on this trip (correct me if I'm wrong). I love to wear a tuxedo and the feeling of formal nights. I bought mine years ago because it use it for cruises and going to the opera; so it has really paid for itself. I got mine at the Nordstrom Rack and it was incredibly cheap. However, I have been warned that their alterations are bad -- so you want to go to a professional tailor to have it adjusted.

Justin and I should be easy to spot on this cruise: he's a sexy cowboy originally from Montana and he wears his hat a lot of places.

He & I both live in Baltimore. By the time of the cruise we'll be living together at my place. I'm a suburban boy on the northern suburbs of the city.

Does Royal Carribbean have drink coupons that you can purchase ahead of time? I used to get those on Carnival and then I didn't have sticker-shock when the final bill arrived on the last day of the cruise.

Zurichguy:

How great to see you again. We have indeed been concerned about you as we definitely noticed your lengthy absence and wondered if all was OK with you. Glad to hear that both of you are doing well and are still on the cruise with us.

Regarding hotel reservations, I don't know about Hugh and Leo but I do believe that Tony (Andros) and his partner Greg are working on it about now. I made mine about one month ago just to be on the safe side. Actually, I ended up making about 3 reservations where I eventually cancelled them until I ended up with my last one. I originally reserved at the Axel but read too many negative reviews to the point where I was concerned.

If you read a negative review about Iberia Airlines of Spain here most likely it was from me. Living in S. Florida, Iberia (out of Miami) is the most convenient option for flying to Spain. I have flown them several times. Most of the times, the experience has been just OK. But the last time was the icing on the cake. It's too long to explain here so I'll explain on board. I met several people on last year's transatlantic cruise who had flown them to Barcelona and were horrified at the quality of service. I also know several people who would pay more or fly out of the way just to avoid Iberia. Now please, don't let this overly concern you. Most likely that after my unpleasant warnings here, you will end up having an OK experience and will get off in Barcelona thinking that I blew things out of proportion. Hopefully, that will be the case. Even if you have a negative experience, the best thing is yet to come on the cruise.

I just realized as I write this that AA does fly non-stop from MIA to MAD. Can you call them back and have them change your MIA-MAD portion to the AA flight instead? You can still fly MAD-BCN on Iberia but that is only a one hour flight.

I am planning to arrive on the 6th but have not made my reservations yet. I am going to wait until Sept. or early Oct. when fall and winter prices will be available. Many people have commented on the Aer Lingus pricing but that seems to be a viable option when flying out of the northeast part of the country. Last year I flew British Airways via LHR to Barcelona and it was great. Only cost me $450.

I am planning to buy a tuxedo before our cruise. I am glad you mentioned Nordstrom Rack as yesterday I went to Nordstrom and their prices started at $700 (for Armani) which is more than what I would like to spend. Last year there were 3 formal nights on the transatlantic cruise. More than likely it will be the same amount this year. A few people have also recommended to look for tuxedos in Syms and Men's Wearhouse. Still have to check those out.

Sorry but I do not have the answer for you regarding your question about the drink coupons. Although I have cruised with RCI before (I am a Plantinum member) I have not heard anyone mention the drink coupons. The only coupons that I recall are the ones in your booklet which are placed in your cabin when you board.

Again, glad to see that you guys are still with us.

Regards, Juan

LOL! I had said that I thought you were fairly busy with your work. Glad to know that you and your better half are doing well. Getting really excited about this trip and my planning has begun. We are almost booked with our apartment and I will start searching flights some time next month. Still need to fine tune our want to do list, but I have plenty of time to get everything in order. Glad to know that you and Justin are still with us and look forward to seeing you guys in November.

Juan, glad you found some places to look for your tux! My suit isn't really a tux, but a double breasted suit jacket with a tuxedo shirt and bow tie suits me just fine. I believe that my sister got it for me at Men's Warehouse. Most likely she paid around 100-150 for it, not real sure. They got it for me when I started driving limo for them some years ago. I have got a lot of use out of it and it still has many years of wear to go.

As far as drink coupons, I don't believe that RC has them. They use to have a drink card(like soda card), but have since then done away with it. I had a bottle of rum delivered to our stateroom last year(costly), but will probably just bring my own this year(checked luggage). I would really like to have some Kaluha for my coffee and some Bourbon this year. Will just have to see:rolleyes: !

Talk to you guys later, Tony

The NYT did a great little review of Provencal restaurants to visit when in Nice (Villefranche) on June 4th. Very local places (always the best/authentic!). I've done some research on alternative tours in Portugal. Am I wrong? So many of the RCL tours are "sit in the bus and drive around" or so it seems. We are much more into seeing some sights, but also soaking in the local culture.

I've looked into wine tours to Sinatra, but the price I was quoted seemed OUTRAGEOUS ($175 pp without lunch!). Will keep looking.

Anyone else with other suggestions, please let me/us know. tick tock tick...

russ i tried pulling up that nyt article you mentioned and I can't seem to latch on to it. did you make note of any of the villefranche restaurants? leo and I are back2back with the TA and we will be in villefranche twice - the day before we pick you all up in barcelona and then again after we leave. so leo and I might just mosey ashore in villefranche and have lunch if you can remember any nyt recommendations. we have already done nice, cannes, monaco, st paul de vence on previous cruises so we are cooling it this time - resting up from the very port intensive med cruise!:)

Hi All:

Tony, just checked around your homepage for the cruise and what a ton of information you have out there. You have been doing your work, haven't you? I very much enjoyed reading about all of the places to visit in Nice and can easily see myself there for the whole day quite busy sightseeing from place to place. I also want to go to St. Paul de Vence which most people highly recommend even over Eze. Hugh also recommends St. Paul. Will definitely be checking out Men's Wearhouse for the tux.

Also, as an FYI not only to you but everyone else, there is a series of books called Daytrips in ..........(France, England, Germany, etc.) that is written by someone named either Steinbecker or Steinbicker. These books not only provide precise information on how to travel to the towns and cities of each country via rail, bus, and car, but also indicate what to see in each location. It is a wealth of information and is ideal for Villefranche as so many of us would like to go to Cannes, Nice, Monaco, and surrounding towns. I also found out of another website from someone in another thread. This website is www.planetware.com. I haven't been through all of it but she claimed to have a lot of sightseeing information for the independent traveller.

WOW! I'm getting so excited. Is it November yet?

Hello to Russ and Hugh.

Regards, Juan

Juan, Yes, I have been a busy beaver. I actually haven't done anything with my homepage for months. I will probably find some more info and put it there before the cruise. Just have had a lot of other things going on. With the new dog, house work, plants, etc... I have just slacked off on it for a while. It is fairly easy for us to get books from the library, since Gregg works at the main branch. That is where I got a lot of the information. I kept the list of books I really liked and will check them out right before the trip, so I can bring them with us. I also make up documents to use for the sites/things we want to see/do for each port. This way we have a game plan in hand when we arrive and get to see/do more, as it is all planned out. We missed a lot in Barcelona last year(due to Montserrat visit) and also Lisbon(because it was our first time). This year will be much easier do to the fact that we will have our bearings about us a little better. Also, my BiL gave me a handheld GPS system which is going to come in handy. Can't wait to put it to good use. Thanks for that link for France, I will definately check it out.

Well, need to get my walk in for the day, as it is already getting hot here. Talk to you guys later, Tony

Hugh:

The restaurants they visited and like were: Chez Palmyre (tel: 93-85-72-32), Acchiardo (93-85-51-16), L"escalinda (93-62-11-71), La Table Alziari (93-80-34-03) and Lou Balico (93-85-93-71). They list "dinners" althought I would assume they offer lunch too. One thing they said to order is Porchetta "another local speciality, a slab of pork rolled around a number of cuts of meat the size of a mortadella about 10 inches across. The half inch thick slab makes a perfect mosaic on your plate and, seasoned as it is with fennel, black pepper, garlic and salt and served with near perfect gnocchi...it was an exemplary and even exciting dish." YUM!

Try www.travel2.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/travel - see if that works and let me know.

Russ

Hi All:

When is November going to get here? At least I have a couple of other cruises between now and then to get me by.

Tony: Looks like you enjoy gathering all of this information and making it available for everybody else to use. Sure makes the waiting fun.

Russ: I (at least me) was not able to access the website that you've provided.

Regards To All, Juan

Just thought I would stop by and say hello! All is well on the homefront and getting fairly nice weather this week. After our scorcher last week, we really needed this break. Hope all of you and your better halves are doing well and having a good summer. November will soon be upon us! Then another fantastic journey will start. Look forward to meeting/seeing you all then. See Ya, Tony

Good to hear from you! Hope you are having a good visit with your family and enjoying your summer. No, November is not here yet, but soon upon us. If it is anything like last year, we will be in Barcelona ready to board before we know it. Look forward to your return and chat before then! See Ya, Tony

Did some searching last week and this is what I found so far! Noticed that you mentioned it on the other thread, so thought I would share them with you. We will be able to fly from here to NY on Jet Blue for 78 bucks a peice. Then I found different flights flying out of JFK to Barcelona. One is on Air Plus Comet to Madrid and then continuing on Spain Air from there to Barcelona for 312.00. Then there is another that is on Swiss Air from JFK to Zurich and then on to Barcelona for 392.00 each. I don't know much about the cheaper flight airlines, so we will most likely go with the Swiss Air flight. We will most likely get better service and have a better flight with them. Will check again in a few weeks to see where the prices are then. Have a good week and see you later, Tony

Hi Tony:

Had a good day today. Got my tuxedo at Nordstrom Rack and got it for more than half price off so I'm having a good day. Now I need to get the accessories (already have the shoes) and I'm ready to go.

Thanks for the info on the airfares. I am hoping that they will go down some in a couple of months. I want to limit my flights to just one stop and the lowest fare that I have been finding for the past few months is $403 on Air France MIA-CDG-BCN. Believe it or not, out of MIA or FLL all other options including two stops are more expensive the the Air France flight. I know that many people are not fond of Air France; I have only flown them twice and have not had any problems. So if this turns out to be the only option, I'll probably do it as it is still just one way. Last year I flew British Airways (really like them and I've flown them several times) for $450. Let's see what Sept. or Oct. will bring in terms of prices.

Talk to you and everyone else later, Juan

Archived