Cruising disabled on the Glory December 19-26

moonvine

So first I have to say I’m probably not your typical Carnival cruiser.  I’m 55, disabled (rheumatoid arthritis plus some other things) with a walker.  Also this was spur of the moment due to a crazy low cruise rate.

I used to cruise when I was in my 30’s and 40s with no problems, tons of energy and no pain.  But it is what it is.  

Embarkation was an absolute mess.  First of all I was late which was my (and my GPS’ fault).  Fortunately I always leave myself a lot of time to get on the ship.  GPS in New Orleans is useless.  It took me to the middle of an alley and said “you’re here.”  So I had to do a lot of stopping and asking.  Finally got to the cruise port and dropped my bags. Then proceeded to Fulton Street Garage where I had pre booked parking. I was on the rooftop which had no elevator.  Fortunately when they saw my walker they said to go ahead and park on the 8th floor.   Got to where they were packing up the shuttles and the guy wouldn’t help with the walker.   He wanted me to put it in the front.  So fortunately other passengers helped me. 

The line to embark was crazy. (Probably because I was there so late.). They took me through disability services so I didn’t have to stand in line for hours.  By the time I got on the ship the cabins were ready, so I went there and then to my muster station (which they have improved 1,000 from the days where we had to  take life jackets which always smelled vaguely of vomit and go to stand on deck).   BTW people complain this ship is too small.  I would not want one a lot bigger. 

I went to the Blue Iguana Cantina since I hadn’t eaten anything that day and was a little hungry.  I won’t be back.  I got the taco shell with chicken and steak. The shell was greasy and the chicken and steak were flavorless.  

So, I have a 1A interior and in my opinion it is perfectly fine for one person. If there were two people I could see it getting cramped fast.   I don’t need hooks or shoe organizers or whatever.   Would I take an ocean view or balcony?   Sure for the same price.  

My dinner reservation at the steakhouse was at 7 so I got dressed and went.  Great service.  I had the Caesar salad, French onion soup, wagyu steak, baked potato and Mac and cheese.  Next time I will skip the salad and potato. I was trying things.  The French onion soup was divine.  The salad was ok.  The baked potato was a baked potato.  The wagyu steak was excellent.  The Mac and cheese was wonderful.   The cheesecake was as big as your head practically.  They packed it up for me to go.   Service was fabulous.  Got my free bottle of wine (the leftover part) sent to the dining room for later.  

will continue later.  I have pics but they aren’t posting.