Wheelchairs on Tours

allisonann7

In light of ever-changing restrictions due to covid, my group has decided to opt for ship sponsored excursions during our upcoming trip. Ports are Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. 

My dad was in an accident this year and has limited mobility now. He can manage a few stairs and can walk unassisted for short distances, but will need a wheelchair for getting to and from the ship and for any waiting or wandering in Port.

All of the excursions available say they are not wheelchair accessible. Does this mean they are not allowed onboard, or just that they do not have a lift? He will be fine getting on and off the vehicles without the chair, but we'll need somewhere to put it during the tours. 

This will be our first flight and cruise since the wreck, so any advice or information is welcome! 

As a general rule, Mexico is not very wheelchair friendly.  It is getting better but it's a long way from being US ADA compliant.  

For Vallarta, cobblestone streets, uneven street/sidewalk pavements and curb heights can be a foot or more. Most tour vehicles will not have a place where a wheelchair can be stored between stops. And I can't say I have seen one with a wheelchair lift.

Cabo is a tender port.  I will let other comment on how mobility challenged passengers manage to go ashore.

Good luck . . .