Best time of year

yiddishkopf

We are thinking about Hawaii for our next cruise. What is the best time of the year to have the odds be with us for good weather in Hawaii. In addition to excursions, etc, I'd like a little beach time.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We've done a lot of traveling, but I've never been to Hawaii and my SO was there just after Pearl Harbor, so I think its time for him to go back and check it out.

There's really no BAD time to come to Hawaii. The weather tends to be a little less wet during the summer time (but it can also get HOT and muggy during that time as well). Rain here in Hawaii usually is not a big deal - it showers/pours for 10-15 minutes and then turns sunny again (then again, our weather for the last week is kind of the exception right now - some thunderstorm cells moving around). :)

Spleen

I just got back from the Pride Of America cruise from Hawaii and the weather was lousy 6 out of 7 days. We had one day of sunshine (last Wednesday) The rest of the days were heavily clouded and Thursday it poured and I mean like cats and dogs rain the WHOLE day, Friday was not much better, it drizzled most of the day. A crew member told us it had also rained every single day the whole week a couple weeks before we did. So I would NOT cruise in February.

Again, as I said, it just depends. We had a storm system move through in the last 2 wks and that has screwed up our normal weather. We've also had dry Februaries in the past where we had no storm systems at all pass through, just the regular daily showers. Winter months are always slightly more at risk for this than the summer months (then again, the summer months you have to worry about hurricanes so there's no winning some times, LOL)

Spleen

We cruised one February and had what I consider to be perfect Hawaii weather. Not too hot, not cold; some rain, not too much, just little showers.

As always, the locals know best. Winters are cooler (relatively speaking) and you will likely have more rain, possible storms, and heavier seas.

That said, there is NO bad time to go to Hawaii, IMO. If you are looking to go at some time when it won't rain, you're out of luck. It will rain; it's tropical. The windward sides of the islands (think Hilo) are generally wetter than the leeward sides (think dry, almost barren Kohala).

OTOH, we had a massive, two day storm on the BI last June--both sides of the island. We also had a couple of shorter rain storms on Maui (as usual). You always take your chances when it comes to when and how much rain you will have.

Again, in my book, there is no bad time to go to Hawaii. Period. (And this is from someone who managed to time her first visit to Kona with the first of the big winter storms. Loved it anyway.)

beachchick

Archived