Turo for Juneau and Skagway

darnoc23

Hello,

Anyone use Turo?  Looks like the rental cars are sold out for my upcoming cruise and while looking at Expedia, it bought me to a link for Turo.  Looks like it's an airbnb type of service but for cars.  Any experience good and bad is appreciated.  Thanks. 

A few years ago I used Turo for a day while in Hawaii. It was fine, I would do it again. However, I was not going too far away from civilization and I was not on a cruise. 
I do not know if there is a turo here in Skagway, but if there was one I wouldn’t use it. If you are wanting to travel from Skagway to Emerald Lake in the Yukon on the Klondike Highway, I would only use a rental company or tour company. Once you leave Skagway, you have no cell service until you get to Carcross. If you broke down, what would you do in the middle of nowhere? If someone did stop for you, would they take you to Skagway or drop you at the Canadian border? Would you get back in time for your all aboard, and would you just abandon the Turo? This sounds like an exaggeration, but it’s not. Don’t take the risk, it’s not worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travel some more said:

A few years ago I used Turo for a day while in Hawaii. It was fine, I would do it again. However, I was not going too far away from civilization and I was not on a cruise. 
I do not know if there is a turo here in Skagway, but if there was one I wouldn’t use it. If you are wanting to travel from Skagway to Emerald Lake in the Yukon on the Klondike Highway, I would only use a rental company or tour company. Once you leave Skagway, you have no cell service until you get to Carcross. If you broke down, what would you do in the middle of nowhere? If someone did stop for you, would they take you to Skagway or drop you at the Canadian border? Would you get back in time for your all aboard, and would you just abandon the Turo? This sounds like an exaggeration, but it’s not. Don’t take the risk, it’s not worth it.

Thank you!  Advice well taken.  I booked a car at Turo for Juneau.  I was looking at the maps and it appears the farthest point we'll go is at the Shrine of St. Therese which is 23 miles from the port (stops at Mendenhall Glacier and gardens 1st).  For Skagway, I was able to reserve a car at Avis.  Our goal is to drive to Emerald Lake, but wasn't aware of the no cell service.  How is the drive to Emerald Lake, any hazards?  Is it a busy highway that if I do break down I can have someone call for help? I will have kids with me and now contemplating whether I should change my itinerary.  Is Emerald Lake worth the drive and risk?  Thanks.

I think you will be fine with Avis. The SUV’s are newer and I’ve not heard of any breaking down. Emerald Lake is gorgeous and Caribou Crossing is good for lunch plus the kids will have fun there. The town of Carcross is good for them too. After you pass the Yukon sign and you are heading near the Venus mine, there are rocks that have fallen into the road pretty often. Just watch it in that area. As you’re driving, you’re going to want to look at the scenery as it’s very beautiful and majestic. Try to resist this and keep your eyes on the road. Make your stops for looking around. Have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travel some more said:

I think you will be fine with Avis. The SUV’s are newer and I’ve not heard of any breaking down. Emerald Lake is gorgeous and Caribou Crossing is good for lunch plus the kids will have fun there. The town of Carcross is good for them too. After you pass the Yukon sign and you are heading near the Venus mine, there are rocks that have fallen into the road pretty often. Just watch it in that area. As you’re driving, you’re going to want to look at the scenery as it’s very beautiful and majestic. Try to resist this and keep your eyes on the road. Make your stops for looking around. Have fun!

Thank you so much, appreciate all the advice!  I found out Verizon rents out satellite phones, so will get that just in case.  🙂  Thanks again. 

I'm not sure that I'd bother with the sat phone. The drive you'll do to Emerald Lake is the same that almost all car renters will do, and many, many tour vans/buses. Although I'd not call the highway busy or trafficky, in the remote case of a breakdown I can't imagine that it would be longer than 5 minutes before you see a car or bus.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ccqueenanne said:

I'm not sure that I'd bother with the sat phone. The drive you'll do to Emerald Lake is the same that almost all car renters will do, and many, many tour vans/buses. Although I'd not call the highway busy or trafficky, in the remote case of a breakdown I can't imagine that it would be longer than 5 minutes before you see a car or bus.

Thanks for your advice We are renting from Avis in Skagway. Do you know the actual route to get to Emerald Lake? I fear getting lost in the Alaska tundra. 

7 hours ago, HalfWhit said:

Thanks for your advice We are renting from Avis in Skagway. Do you know the actual route to get to Emerald Lake? I fear getting lost in the Alaska tundra. 

No getting lost - once you get out of town there is literally just the one road. I do recommend printing the pdf of Murray's guide before you leave home, or put the pdf on your phone to read. It's great for telling you what you are seeing as you drive. I printed the free 2020 pdf.

Edited by ccqueenanne
  • Like 1