Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 32

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, August 8 and Sunday, August 14.

August 2022, week two! It's National August 2022 Photo Week!* Post some photos!

*yeah...I made that up.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

The photography drought continued this week as I replaced the windows and siding after last week's tree removal. Since my Picture-A-Week project is more of a journal than an art project, this week's photo features the house's facelift that is eating my hobby time. With the trees gone, the front-end renovation returned to the top of the get-it-done list when we realized you could actually see it. There is one big bonus so far. The new windows are decades farther along the evolutionary path of building materials and the double strength, double-pane gas-filled vinyl sliders muffle street noise more than expected. This is a huge plus since kids these days don’t seem to know that cars need a muffler.

Some Progress

1297151727_2022-32SomeProgress.thumb.jpg.9e9caeab338380a3858e198ce46cfd8f.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

Another week, another visit to the wetlands.  Actually, TWO visits to the wetlands.  Saturday, I started out at noon hoping to get some shooting in before a predicted rainy day...but by 12:30pm, a nasty black sky closed in fast, and I high-tailed back to the nature center building at the entrance of the wetlands with lightning smacking the ground less than a mile behind me.  I spent about an hour sheltered in there until the lightning let up a bit, but clearly the rains weren't going to stop, so I jogged back to my car to call it a day.  Sunday looked considerably better, so I headed back out again and managed to visit my two local wetlands in about 3 1/2 hours and get out just before more rains returned.

A basilisk lizard climbing up a tree on Saturday:

original.jpg

A purple gallinule chick looking up at me...then again, it could have been looking up at the nasty black sky forming over my head!:

original.jpg

Final shot out in the wetlands - this green heron was clucking nervously every time the thunder pealed...I was trying to stand firm hoping the storm was going to slip by, so I was waiting for the green heron to open its bill...but the lightning was starting to get close enough to make me as nervous as the heron:

original.jpg

Sunday, with a clear start to the day, I found this grasshopper enjoying a flower bud:

original.jpg

A lovely roseate spoonbill hanging out in the shallow water:

original.jpg

Somebody had been eating pond apples on the ground a few yards away...as I approached this green heron, he couldn't really deny that it had been him, as the remains on his face gave him away:

original.jpg

Another double-crested cormorant letting me walk right up to him - and take a closeup portrait from just 4 feet away:

original.jpg

A bee on a purple flower:

original.jpg

A least bittern - it looked to be a juvenile male, out in the open for a few seconds:

original.jpg

• Like 4