Puerto Plata Excursions

majesty2008

We are scheduled for Dominican Daze summer 2023. The itinerary says we are in port 9-6. 

I'm not seeing a lot of info online with reviews of the excursions or which port the ship will be in. 

If you've done a shore things excursion i Puerto Plata, what was it and how did you like it?

Would there be enough time to do two excursions or 2-3 hours?

Which port does the ship dock at?

Photo_001.thumb.jpg.d86d3c7d79e156639f755d4264b6fb5c.jpg

I sailed TSL in mid June, 2022 and the ship docked right at the foot of Mt. Isabel del Torres. I picked the 10:30 AM cable car/city cultural tour. I'm glad I picked the earliest tour as the mountain gets foggy in the afternoon on some days. A small A/C and WIFI enhanced tour bus took us to the cable car and we did a 15 minute ride to the top. I enjoyed the ride up and we opened some windows and got an wonderful fresh breeze combining mountain and ocean air. On top of the mountain you get an incredible view of Puerto Plata. There is even a rain forest up there and you get a guided tour. Bring water and comfortable shoes.

Then we went for lunch and some short city cultural stops like Independence Square. It was a teriffic excursion and I highly recommend it. It takes about 3 hours and was reasonably priced...$55 USD. I booked through the cruise line. You could possibly squeeze in two excursions, but it would depend on which two you tried to combine. Personally, I wouldn't because I would feel rushed and would also be concerned that I might miss my ships embarkation time. I'm sure people do it, I'm just not one of them. Enjoy!

Edited by Cloud9 Bob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review!  We too are taking this Virgin Voyages booked excursion.

We wonder if you could add any more detail such as where you had lunch and what other stops you made in town?  Also how long they gave you up on the mountain top?   Thank you.

7 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

We wonder if you could add any more detail such as where you had lunch and what other stops you made in town?  Also how long they gave you up on the mountain top?   Thank you.

About an hour up top. There is a smaller version of Christ the Redeemer Statue up there and there is also a path that runs around the rain forest. The guide will explain everything as you walk a path. I forgot the name of the lunch place, but it was a beautiful garden type of small restaurant. The food was very good and they had the best coconut flan I've ever had. There was also a stop at a jewelry store that deals in handmade jewelry from the area. Independence square was fun too. Not only was it historically significant but there were some humorous elements like the man that was riding the donkey....you'll see. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1