Voyager Review September 18-25, 2022 - NewEngland/Canada

PRE-CRUISE

This would be our first New England/Canada cruise.  Although we cruise frequently with various cruiselines, this was only our 2nd Royal Caribbean cruise, the last being 20 years ago.  This was prior to recent changes, so we were still required to have a covid test 2 days prior to sailing as we would be visiting Canada.  We chose the proctored at-home emed tests.  Was pretty easy.  Printed out all documents including cruise pass, negative covid results, and ArriveCAN which was still required for this sailing.  To refresh ourselves on the history and to learn more about Boston, we read some basic history books and watched the mini-series “Sons of Liberty” which is a bit “Hollywoodized”, but gave many of the basic facts.  I apologize in advance for any possible incorrect facts in my descriptions.  I have added some photos along the way.

We flew in two nights early to tour Boston for the first time.  Since the downtown hotels were out of our budget we looked across the bay near the airport for something more affordable.  We were very happy with our choice of the Comfort Inn & Suites Boston Logan Airport Revere (3 miles north of airport).  We used their free airport shuttle.  As we arrived in the evening, we chose to just eat at the attached Tex-Mex restaurant, Margaritas, which was pretty good, with tasty margaritas.  They also have an adjacent pizza spot that seemed very popular with hotel guests to carry-out to their rooms, or enjoy in the restaurant.  The hotel also had a comfy outdoor seating area with a fire pit.  Great customer service at the front desk; with clean, modern lobby and rooms.  They have a nice warm indoor pool, but no hot tub.  The following morning we had a very good complimentary hot breakfast buffet in the hotel lobby.  Also saw flight crews there which is a good sign.  Not much in the area as it is more industrial with a large Amazon facility next to it.  I forgot to take any pictures of the room, but the pictures on the hotel website are pretty accurate.  I would definitely stay there again based on quality and value.

PXL_20220916_231301759.jpg

PXL_20220916_234155578.jpg

• Like 2

BOSTON

After breakfast, we walked from the hotel about 15 minutes to the Revere Beach T stop to take the quick subway ride into downtown Boston. We also had the option to take the airport shuttle back to the airport and catch the T from there.   Our plan was to walk the entire 2.5 miles of the Freedom Trail consisting of 16 specific sites, while adding in several side sites I read about and stopping along the way for food/drinks.  We began our touring of the Freedom Trail (which is marked by a narrow red brick line/trail throughout) around State Street in the early morning of Boston, just waking up on a Saturday.  So we would be walking out of order of the trail, but it was fine.  None of the buildings were open yet on this first segment as it was too early, but we at least got pictures of the outsides.  Amazing to finally be here after refreshing ourselves on our American independence history and plotting our sightseeing for the day.

Our first site was of the Old State House, where the Declaration of Independence was first read to Bostonians, and the Boston Massacre site.  We next saw the Old South Meeting House (planning for the Boston Tea Party), the Old Corner Bookstore (now a Chipotle), and the Irish Famine Memorial in this area.  On to the Ben Franklin statue and & Boston Latin School (America’s first public school).  Already feeling the shivers of pride and gratitude thinking about the birth of our nation and the freedom these people fought for and the benefits we continue to reap today and God willing… forever.  Marveled at the beautiful steeple and clock on the Park Street Church (where “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” was first sung on the church steps).  King’s Chapel & Burial Ground were next.  Wow, those are some old, historic headstones.  Quite different than what we see now.  Next up the even more historic, Granary Burying Ground where Paul Revere, John Hancock & Sam Adams are buried along with many other famous Bostonians including the woman known as Mother Goose.  There was a man in front offering a laminated guide to the graves which was very helpful.  You return it when finished for a free-will offering.  Again, it really gave me pause to stop and thank God for these men and women; and many more ancestors who fought for all the freedoms we enjoy today.

PXL_20220917_123419574.jpg

PXL_20220917_121731738.jpg

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

• Like 3

We headed south to Boston Common Park for the sights there including numerous beautiful sculptures and Brewer Fountain; and on to the bustling Visitor Center (with restrooms).   Lots of people enjoying the day and joining walking tours.  We continued on to the Public Garden to see the Make Way for Ducklings sculpture (based on a children’s book) along with the idyllic pond lined with weeping willows and real ducks swimming; and the sculpture of George Washington on his horse.  Continuing on we visited Copley Square and saw the outside of the beautiful Trinity Church (inside closed due to a memorial) and the Boston Public Library which is like a museum!  With the background of modern downtown buildings, you see the amazing contrast of old and new.

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG 2.png

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1116 (2).JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

• Like 2

Backtracking we stopped for photos of just the  outside of Cheers (as we read the inside does not look like the TV show and is a bit of a tourist trap).  We also found little cobblestoned scenic Acorn Street for pretty photos.  And continued on to Louisburg Square to see the lovely mansions and especially, #10, which was were Louisa May Alcott lived.  Onward to the brilliantly gold-domed State House, and a statue of President Kennedy on the west wing lawn, although currently that area was under construction.  Not far from there across the street is the Massachusetts 54th Regiment Memorial (whose story was depicted in the movie Glory, which we watched in prep for our trip).  Next we saw the Giant Tea Kettle from 1873 (ironically now on a Starbucks); and nearby City Hall, an example of Brutalist Architecture.

IMG_1143 (2).JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

• Like 2

As lunchtime approached we found ourselves at historic Faneuil Hall (we viewed the historic Great Hall on the second floor) and Quincy Market.  Lots of tourists on this beautiful early fall day!  We had the obligatory lobstah roll and clam chowdah and sat outside to eat enjoying a busker show of a bagpipe-playing, unicycle-riding performer! Also in this vicinity is the Sam Adams Taproom.  A little further along is Union Street with many cute old pubs and restaurants with many alfresco diners.  We stopped to rest and hydrate at Hennessey’s Irish Bar that had live music to enjoy.  Further along is the Boston Public Market and outside was a colorful, bustling farmer’s market.

IMG_1157 (2).JPG

IMG_1158 (2).JPG

IMG_1162 (2).JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

• Like 3

Onward to the Italian North End. Stopped at Mike’s Pastry and joined the quick line to taste the delicious cannoli and Boston Crème Pie.  Very decadent and delicious.  Once again, many diners were enjoying their meals on the lovely outdoor patios.  The Italian cuisine wafting around smelled delicious.  Checked out some stores and took many photos of the Connah Store, Italian city directional pole, and the interesting architecture of many buildings.  Back to the Freedom Trail we reached Paul Revere’s Home which is the oldest remaining structure in Boston. 

PXL_20220917_180727511 (2).jpg

PXL_20220917_174816086.jpg

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1176 (2).JPG

• Like 2

Moving along to the Paul Revere Monument in a little park as you approach the Old North Church on the Freedom Trail (the historic place where lanterns were placed to signal the British were coming!) We did not tour the inside, but moved along to one more cemetery:  Copp’s Hill Burying Ground.  And across the street at 44 Hull Street is the narrowest house.

IMG_1185 (2).JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

• Like 1

Getting a bit tired, but we refuse to give up.  Took the long walk across the Charleston Bridge with a great view of the Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge.  A bit further on we caught a view of the Bunker Hill Monument, but decided not to climb the hill to view it up close.  We continued a little further to the impressive USS Constitution which is free to tour, but you do need to go through security at this site.  “Old Ironsides” is the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world!  Very cool to imagine life for a sailor on this ship as you get to go below deck also. The USS Cassin Young WWII Destroyer is also visible from this area.  We did not tour that.

IMG_1191.JPG

PXL_20220917_195531520.jpg

IMG_1196.JPG

• Like 1

Afterwards, we weren’t thrilled about the thought of the long walk back over the bridge, so we chose to continue a little further to where you can catch a ferry from here to Long Wharf South in downtown Boston.  We saw some cool modern sculptures along the way.  Quick scenic way to return.  Bustling tourist area at the wharf.  The Aquarium is also located here.  And this is where we were able to get the T subway back to Revere Beach and our last leg of the day back to the hotel.  Thoroughly enjoyed our day here and walked over 10 miles by choice as it is such a walkable city especially in perfect weather!  Although we still would like more time here, our visit to Boston even exceeded our expectations.  Love this city, the friendly Bostonians, all the history and mixture of the old and new. 

PXL_20220917_195927314.jpg

IMG_1202.JPG

PXL_20220917_202004794 (2).jpg

• Like 4

CRUISE DAY – EMBARKATION

Enjoyed another good breakfast and had the hotel order a cab for us for a specified time this morning.  We were concerned about possible delays to the cruiseport due to one of the tunnels being closed on weekends for construction.  So we left about 10:45am for our 12 check in time.  It was a quick ride with no delays and we dropped our luggage and got quickly checked in and seated in the waiting area for a while to be called right about 12 for our group to board.  Very excited to step aboard the Voyager and explore.  First impressions were great!  I love the new system for safety briefing (muster drill) whereby you watch the video on your phone and then go check in at your muster station for a quick life jacket review.  Easy Peasy.  Please people do this in a timely manner after boarding as the reminder announcements get really annoying as the afternoon goes on prior to sailaway.

Headed up to the Windjammer which was still not too crowded to enjoy some lunch.   I love the sinks for handwashing at the entrance with a friendly reminder from a crew member to wash your hands.   Most people seemed to follow the rule.  The Windjammer buffet is U-shaped with tables surrounding.  As you enter you find the bar if needed, and then can usually go left or right (the carved meat of the day was usually on the right) with a straight cafeteria style line.  If you go all the way to the back, many items are repeated, with the addition of several islands which are easier to maneuver.   In the back you find the grilled items such as hamburgers, hot dogs, with lots of toppings (later in the week, I made a sauerkraut dog which fit the Oktoberfest time of year and weather!); and options like grilled minute steaks and chicken; and mac & cheese.  There is usually an international section which quite often had Tex-Mex food.  In the back are also the vegetarian and delicious Indian options.  The salad and fruit bars are larger back here.  Last but not least is the dessert island (which actually had some quality tasty items like cakes, mousses, pies, flan, crumbles, jello and cookies etc.).  Lots of delicious fresh bread types and lunchmeat/cheese choices.   Many American choices like stews, pasta, soups etc.  DH really enjoyed the Roasted Turkey and Roasted Chickens offered at the carving station one time during the week.  There’s plenty more that I didn’t mention and we found many delicious choices all week. A few items weren’t to our liking, but that’s normal for everyone.  In the evening, they also add a daily theme like American, Chinese, Tex-Mex (tasty Guac & chips), Italian, Indian (delicious Butter Chicken & various Curries), and Caribbean (loved the jerk chicken, rice and plantains).  Even though we ate in the MDR every night, we often stopped in the Windjammer earlier to have an “appetizer” of the specials of the night.  I wish they would have the theme specials for lunch also.

PXL_20220924_155220045.jpg

PXL_20220924_153711322.jpg

PXL_20220918_214910443.jpg

PXL_20220924_222811406.jpg

PXL_20220924_155108282.jpg

PXL_20220923_220632161.jpg

• Like 1

We found the workers friendly and extremely hard-working in here, and all over the ship for that matter. Quickly cleaning tables, clearing dishes and serving drinks.  The complimentary drinks are mostly served by the crew.  In busy times, they try to have large trays of glasses of water and lemonade (way too sweet for me) as grab & go.  Sometimes the coffee was serve yourself.  I did find an issue sometimes with finding cream at the stations, although they always have milk for coffee.  It could be crowded at busy times and difficult to find a table, but you have to remember on this type of itinerary at this time of year, once we left our sunny, warm Boston it was too cold and windy to eat outside at all near the pool at the various tables scattered around there. 

By 2pm we were able to access our cabin and drop off our carry-on bags. We had inside cabin 8441 on deck 8.  Typical inside cabin, and we were thrilled to have a small couch.  Decent storage with closet including side shelves, drawers, shelves in mirror doors.  The safe was conveniently located in a cabinet above the TV, and another shelf for storage.  I initially thought our “refrigerator” was broke, until I saw the small sticker that indicates it’s not a fridge but a “cooler” with rubber pads that have minimal cooling.  Did barely nothing for the two bottles of wine we carried on board.  Had to ask the room steward for ice instead.  The bathroom is small but adequate with good storage and we like the curved, glass shower doors.   The bed was on the firm side, but very comfortable through the week, as well as nice bedding.  We love sleeping in the totally dark inside cabins!  Our room steward Ignatius did an excellent job taking care of us and our cabin all week.  There is a magnet you can place on the outside of the door if you don’t want to be disturbed.

PXL_20220918_180146999 2.jpg

• Like 2

Friendly Bostonians?  If not for the pictures, I'd suggest you actually were somewhere else. 😄

I'm happy to read such a nice review, this is certainly the best time of year to visit.  September and October in New England is our reward for suffering through February and March.  Can't wait to hear about your time on board, we leave in 6 days on her!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We enjoyed exploring the ship and found the beautiful chapel up on deck 15.  Right below is the Sky Lounge/High Notes which has fabulous ocean/ship views and we really enjoyed sitting in there through the week since the weather was often too windy, chilly, and rainy to enjoy being outside.   The sports deck is nice and we saw people playing pickleball and basketball the first day.  The flow-rider was also in use and entertaining to watch.  We enjoyed a game of mini-golf before sailaway in Boston.  Climbing wall is up here also.  Never did try the water slides.  The pool deck has 2 pools and 4 hot tubs in the main area. There are several levels of deck chairs, so in a warm climate you would have lots of choices, just not all by the pools.   In addition, the adult only Solarium area has a pool, 2 large hot tubs, and cushioned loungers. 

PXL_20220918_221947026.jpg

PXL_20220918_222007182.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220918_170705193.jpg

PXL_20220918_185016234.jpg

• Like 1

This was our first experience with a Royal indoor Promenade.  Perfect for strolling often on this itinerary for shopping, eating, drinking and entertainment.   We found the food at the Café Promenade to be tasty and convenient.  Also easy for us to grab a cup of coffee.  Here you can find breakfast sandwiches, which we forgot to try.  This is where the pizza is found.  I loved it.  I like the crunchy thin crust with my favorite the veggie and DH liked the Pepperoni.  They also offer some tasty small pre-made sandwiches, salads, fruit, olives, and desserts.  Quick place to find a snack when on Deck 5.  Easy to spot by the red car being driven by bears next to the red British phone booth!  Employees worked hard to keep the line moving and the tables cleared for seating.

PXL_20220924_133701161.jpg

• Like 2

Enjoyed sailaway from Deck 12 and the Helipad/Observation Deck accessed from Deck 4 forward which has awesome views as long as it’s not too windy to enjoy.  A beautiful evening with a partial orange sunset, beautiful views of downtown Boston and right past Logan Airport with planes landing and taking off right over us. 

PXL_20220918_172740896.jpg

PXL_20220918_222720825 (2).jpg

PXL_20220918_225109060.jpg

Back to the cabin to find our luggage and unpack before dinner.  We chose MyTime Dining and made reservations for each night prior to leaving home.  We proceeded to Deck 3 MDR at about 7:05 for our 7:15pm reservations and saw a huge crowd and line all the way back through photos and to the closed Studio B doors.  The line for no reservations was a quarter of our line and they were seating guests from that line also.  Makes no sense to me, since it would have been actually quicker for us to leave our reservation line and join the no reservation line.  I understand the first night can have delays, but this was a mess.  The maitre’ds and helpers were working as fast as they could to seat people.  It took at least 30 minutes for us to be seated.  Although I did hear that the transatlantic cruise prior to ours was not sailing at 100% capacity, so the crew probably needed time to adjust to more guests.  I was told by guest services that we were at 100% this sailing, 3100, and the cruise director said only 60 children!  The first night service was okay, but for the rest of the week we were seated in a different section with Inyomen & Ashish, who gave us excellent, friendly, professional pampering service!  Throughout the week the wait to be seated averaged 10-20 minutes.  I was happy that the serving time for the meal averaged about 45-60 minutes for our table of two (we tend to eat fast).

MDR FOOD

We found the food to be very good in the MDR.  I like the smaller serving sizes (compared to American land restaurants) so that I can try more appetizers and have room for dessert!  You can always ask for second servings.  Some of the items we found delicious during the week were, in no particular order: 

Soups: Baked French Onion, Pumpkin, Wild Mushroom, Roasted Poblano Pepper Soup

Appetizers:  Shrimp Cocktail, Crab Cake, Asian Pork Tacos, Eggplant & Kalamata Olive Tartare, Caesar Salad, Garden Salad, Arugula & Radicchio Salad, Coconut Shrimp

Mains: Battered Fish & Seafood, Roasted Beef Tenderloin, Southern Fried Chicken, NY Strip Steak, Garlic Tiger Shrimp, Braised Short Ribs, Ahi Tuna, Fish & Chips, Perch substituting for Sole, Lobster Tail (I ordered 2, while my husband ordered lobster tail with the beef tenderloin to make surf & turf)

Desserts: Crème Brulet, Key Lime Pie, Apple Blossom ala mode, Bananas Foster, Lemon Curd Tartlet, and Banana Split (off the children’s menu)

PXL_20220920_225010448 (2).jpg

PXL_20220923_234846751.jpg

PXL_20220923_234056942.jpg

PXL_20220920_230529967 (2).jpg

• Like 3

ENTERTAINMENT

We thoroughly enjoyed all the entertainment all week.  We attended the later shows at 10pm with no problem getting a seat arriving about 20 minutes prior.  In the Royal Theatre we saw 2 of the 3 Production Broadway shows:  Rhythm & Rhyme and Music in Pictures.  Great singers, dancers and costuming; and music by the talented Orchestra.  Shows don’t have much of a story, but still entertaining performances.  The headliner comedian Canadian Scott Harris was hilarious.  We saw both of his shows.  The best we have seen in years.  Another highlight was the Frankie and the Dreamers show featuring the Four Seasons music, as we love that band and have enjoyed Jersey Boys.  High energy show.   And for the first time we got to see an ice show on a ship.  Fantastic show with amazing, talented skaters and beautiful costuming.  I’m amazed how they can perform all those elements in such a small rink. Nice intimate seating to see all the action.  And as a plus, got to see and meet later in the week, the skater Jordan who has a you tube channel, Aboard with Jord which features her life as a performer on a ship.  Very nice, talented gal. They also offer free-skate sessions to passengers at various times during the week. 

In smaller venues, we really loved the Piano Bar sessions with Juan Jade “The Hit Man” in the Schooner Bar.  Fantastic singer and piano player, really knows how to involve the crowd, and there was a crowd when he played.  Usually standing room only if you didn’t arrive quite early.  At other times during the day we enjoyed the relaxing piano music of Inna Honcharuk.  Kyle Harris in the Pig & Whistle was great on the guitar with his versions of a wide range of songs to choose from his request book.   We heard lots of music while strolling the ship and promenade through the week.  All were good:  Maximiliano Bus, PJ Groove, Banda Certa Duo and others.

We did not buy a drink package.  We enjoyed some wine with dinner several nights, and several of the cocktails in various bars through the week.  Bar service was good with short waits at the bar, and servers circulating to take orders.  Some of the cocktails we enjoyed were the Classic Old Fashioned, Pyrat Old Fashioned (with rum), Rum Punch, Dark & Stormy, Papa Doble, Pineapple Guava Sangria and Mai Tai.

We enjoyed many of the games during the day including the Trivia, Name that Tune, Scattegories, word puzzles, scavenger hunts etc.   There were many activities to choose from even though we didn’t partake such as: Movies shown poolside and in the Royal Theatre, Bingo, Karoake, Arts & Crafts, Dance Lessons, Hush Dance Party, Casino, Art Auctions, and lots more.   Although a few brave people used the swimming pools (mostly the dedicated lap swimmers), the hot tubs are a nice option during inclement weather.

PXL_20220921_104424073 2.jpg

• Like 2

PORTLAND, MAINE   7am-5pm

Up early in anticipation of our first port.  Headed to the Windjammer for breakfast.  All the usual tasty offerings including ready-made fried eggs and small omelets (no made-to-order omelets) scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, amazing fried potatoes, hot and cold cereal, salmon and mackerel, waffles, pancakes, yogurt and yogurt parfaits, lots of fruit, museli, lunchmeat, cheese, breads, pastries, donuts and more.  While on the subject of breakfast, we ate once in the MDR but weren’t as pleased with the sauce and dried out appearance of the eggs benedict I ordered.  I know I could have asked for a replacement, but chose not to.  And I didn’t care for the triangle hash brown patty served there as I absolutely love the fried potatoes in the buffet. 

It was a chilly, overcast morning, but we packed clothes similar to an Alaskan cruise and wore layers, with extra rain gear in our backpack. We had pre-booked an independent tour company, Portland Discovery Tours, City & Lighthouse Tour (1hr/45min).  This is an easy walk off port right in town.  We first stopped for pictures at the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad.  Then we walked about 10-15 minutes to the Long Wharf to meet our tour.  Also located here is a cute love lock display and part of the Berlin Wall.  We enjoyed this tour in a small trolley, learning the basic history and seeing the key highlights of Portland, including some beautiful Victorian mansions.  We then crossed a bridge to reach the beautiful Portland Head Light (Maine’s oldest lighthouse) where we had about 20 minutes for photos.  You can walk to the right where there is a gate to access the rocks to get another stunning view of the scenic lighthouse.  Perfect tour to get acquainted with Portland and visit the lighthouse.

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1280 (2).JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

PXL_20220919_144614232.jpg

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1356 (2).JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1364 (3).JPG

• Like 2

After that we went across the street to join the line for the famous potato based Holy Donuts and nice hot coffee to warm us up.  Delicious.  We strolled the town along Commercial Street enjoying all the scenic sights and shops, taking photos along the way.  We really enjoyed Exchange Street and cobblestoned Wharf Street (although many pubs where closed here).  We then returned via Commercial Street, but on the water side where all the wharfs are.  Although we didn’t see any live lobsters being brought in on boats, we saw lots of lobster boats, traps and buoys along the way.  Love the New England feel to this place.  Many opportunities to get a lobster meal, although we did not as the weather was now a bit drizzly.  We did stop in a pub for an Alagash Beer and Blueberry Ale, both brewed in Maine.  It was now umbrellas up time to head back to the ship for a late lunch.  Once the Windjammer buffet closes for lunch, you can get a very small offering of snacks, sandwiches, sweets and coffee in the oddly named Cupcake Cupboard room adjacent to the buffet on Deck 11.  And of course, the pizza and offerings at the Promenade Café.

PXL_20220919_154703011 (2).jpg

PXL_20220919_155252644.jpg

PXL_20220919_160848776.jpg

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1406 (2).JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1431 (2) - Copy.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

• Like 1

SAINT JOHN, NEW  BRUNSWICK Bay of Fundy (not to be confused with St. John, Newfoundland)    8am-7pm

Awoke to another overcast day.  We were berthed at the Long Wharf.  Our plan was to just tour the area by foot on our own.  We had planned to start our day by walking to see the Reversing Falls using the Harbor Passage Trail.  We decided to tour the city first in hopes that it might clear up and be less drizzly later.  We were glad we learned ahead of time that there was an overhead pedway system that leads from the Market Square Shopping Center connecting buildings through Brunswick Square Shopping Center all the way to the popular City Market.  Lots to see, including the Public Library, fountain, artwork, shops, even a moose!  We got to the City Market before most of the tour bus crowds so that was nice to stroll the colorful aisles.  We headed outside to see the pretty Kings Square Park and hunted for a few of the photogenic murals we had read about online.  Then a deluge started, but we were prepared with umbrellas and rain gear.  Back inside the City Market we found a lovely respite near the entrance to have a taste of Moosehead local beer. 

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1438.JPG

PXL_20220920_131419528 (2).jpg

PXL_20220920_135710657 (2).jpg

PXL_20220920_140027412 (2).jpg

PXL_20220920_135007197.jpg

PXL_20220920_134113367.jpg

• Like 2

Once the rain let up we headed back outside to explore the uptown area of Saint John, and spot more murals.  We toured beautiful Trinity Anglican Church where we were able to sign a condolence book for Queen Elizabeth II.  Working our way back outside we enjoyed the architecture of the buildings all the way to the new Area 506 Container Village of Shops and food trucks, which is near the Marco Polo Cruise Terminal.  It was windy and drizzly but we had to get a Beaver Tail treat along with an order of Poutine.  Two firsts for us!  Both delicious!  We had to eat standing because all the outdoor seating was wet, but the warm, comfort food really hit the spot.  Cute stores, clean public bathrooms and a container designated just for crew which is nice, for them to hang out and get wifi.  Steamers Lobster Company was doing a good business right across the street.  Checked out a few souvenir stores as we headed back on Water Street.  We popped back into Market Square to get some coffee at Tim Horton’s, another first for us.   The weather had not improved so we decided to skip the Reversing Falls.  I know it wouldn’t look like much in this weather; you really need to see it at different tides to get the full impact of the reversing flow.  I do find the science of it very interesting knowing that the Bay of Fundy has the highest tides on Earth.  I imagine on a nice day, it would be a good tour to head out to see the area of Hopewell Rocks, but we weren’t interested in a 7 hour tour on a bus.  Despite the weather, we enjoyed our time in this interesting city. 

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

• Like 1

SYDNEY, NOVA SCOTIA   8am-5pm

Partway through our cruise, we realized that Hurricane Fiona was now headed up to this area in Canada.  It was still off to the SE in the Atlantic, so we were able to make our port stop in Sydney.  We knew there wasn’t a lot to see in this town, so we had pre-booked a RCCL tour to the Fortress Louisburg for the afternoon.   It was another mostly cloudy day, but the temperature was mild as we headed out early on foot to check out the city.  We walked to the Cruise Pavillion which has the iconic world’s largest Fiddle out in front.  Everyone wants a picture with it.  There are some nice shops here indoors and out, visitors center, and a craft fair.  Bustling area.  We then took a short walk to visit St. Patrick’s Church Museum, St. George Anglican Church, continuing on to Charlotte Street (partly under construction) for shopping and restaurants.  We also found some cool murals we hadn’t realized were here.  We then headed back down to the boardwalk to return, stopping to see the very moving Merchant Mariner Monument.   At this point it began to rain lightly. Checked out some of the shops on Esplanade including Get Nauti and right next store is Governors Pub.  Back at the fiddle, I saw a Canadian Mountie!

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

PXL_20220922_120710020.jpg

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

• Like 1