South American Excursions

TwoSue

We are going to be cruising from Chile, by Antarctica, and ending in Buenos Aires.  Last year, we did a Panama Canal cruise and for the first time I didn't book any excursions ahead of time.  We found plenty to do in each port, either hiring taxis, walking around cities, or finding tours at the dock.  We enjoyed the spontaneity of it.  For our upcoming South American cruise, I have booked penguin tours at Volunteer Point in the Falklands and Punta Tumbo because I wanted to make sure to see them.  Are there any other "must see or do" trips that we should schedule ahead of time?  Will we be able to find tours at the docks or should I keep looking for them now?

On 10/14/2022 at 12:55 PM, TwoSue said:

Are there any other "must see or do" trips that we should schedule ahead of time?  Will we be able to find tours at the docks or should I keep looking for them now?

Whether tours will be available at the dock, I don't know.  Traveling so far to visit this part of the world, I recommend you do some touring.

If you dock at Ushuaia, how can one not visit Tierra del Fuego National Park?  A train trip to The End of the World was fun and interesting.

From Punta Arenas:  Torres del Paine National Park; a visit to Nao Victoria Museum; a visit to Maggiorino Borgatello Museum; a visit to the Plaza de Armas

From Puerto Momtt:  I took a tour called Puerto Momtt, Puerto Varas, and Frutillar Highlights which is an area where German settlers arrived and has the flavor of a Black Forest area in Germany.  Rather unique, I thought, and scenic.  

Good choices of tours to visit Penguin colonies.  My visit was in the Falkland Islands and I did enjoy it even though I came back with muddy clothes and shoes.  Very friendly people live in the Falklands!  

After the tour I did in Ushuaia, I did wander around the community and it is an interesting place to "wander".  Between Chile and Argentina, I thought Chile to be more tourist friendly.  

• Like 2