taxi fare to hotel

snookie1

Could anyone advise me on the approximate taxi fare from the airport in Buenos Aires to the Hilton Buenos Aires in the Puerto Madero section of the city?  And also from that hotel to the cruise ship pier?  I am trying to calculate how many Argentinean pesos to purchase before our trip at the end of the month.  Any advice on using the taxis?  I've read they can give you change in counterfeit notes, not that I would recognize that!  Any insight you can give would be appreciated.🤔

I found Tripadvisor very helpful for this. Here is a recent thread but there are others.  Basically one easy way is to book a remise at an airport kiosk...paying a set price with credit cards and foreign currency accepted.  Taxi Ezeiza is one such option. You'll pay at the kiosk and get a receipt at the counter. No need to book in advance - reducing the chances of having to wait around or find the ride you already paid for.

Ultimately paying with cash is best (best price).... and from what I read USD was ok here.  CC a second best option.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k14138145-Booking_a_taxi_booking_com_for_airport_transfer-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

We can't even buy pesos in advance where I'm from - it's something I will do once in B.A. (That's a whole other discussion).

On 11/13/2022 at 6:25 PM, FloatYourBoatSince2003 said:

I found Tripadvisor very helpful for this. Here is a recent thread but there are others.  Basically one easy way is to book a remise at an airport kiosk...paying a set price with credit cards and foreign currency accepted.  Taxi Ezeiza is one such option. You'll pay at the kiosk and get a receipt at the counter. No need to book in advance - reducing the chances of having to wait around or find the ride you already paid for.

Ultimately paying with cash is best (best price).... and from what I read USD was ok here.  CC a second best option.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k14138145-Booking_a_taxi_booking_com_for_airport_transfer-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

We can't even buy pesos in advance where I'm from - it's something I will do once in B.A. (That's a whole other discussion).

Thank you so much!  Just the information I needed!😊

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We will be staying at a Hilton property in BA and I emailed the hotel to ask about taxi options.  The concierge/front desk emailed a reply with prices in USD and local currency.  They arranged it for us - very reasonable compared to what I saw when I tried to arrange on my own.  Let's hope it works out!

They also sent costs for hotel to the cruise ship pier but suggested to book that once we arrive at the hotel.

This info won't help the original poster but maybe someone else in the future.

Edited by Cruisewilm
comment added
  • Thanks 1

Currently there is a dual currency conversion situation in Argentina, the official rate and the unofficial blue dollar (179 vs. 365).  The dual rate resulted from restrictions on currency exchange to keep investors from taking their money out of the country.  Recently a policy was implemented to encourage foreign tourism.  When a foreign credit card is used, a charge made in AR Pesos will be converted by Visa or Mastercard at a MEP rate which is closer to the blue dollar rate.  You can see the rates used by Visa here (327 today):

https://www.visa.com.my/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

So, using a credit card for a purchase in pesos, you will end up paying less than expected.  For example, last week Taxiezeiza told me that the cost for a taxi to town would be $43 USD cash, 7500 pesos cash, or 8250 pesos with a credit card.  The credit card price should end up being $26.23 after conversion.  If you are paying for a hotel, the savings are significant.  This won't help the original poster, but maybe someone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1