Just booked a balcony room on Freedom of the Seas!

After our mediocre cruising experience last October (we were originally booked on the Enchantment, which was postponed, then cancelled, due to Hurrican Wilma - what bad timing we had!), we were anxious to finally go on a full-fledged cruise.

DH redeemed his frequent flyer miles for our tickets, so he agreed to splurge on a balcony stateroom on Freedom of the Seas (sailing in December, just before Christmas)! Plus, with my mom's timeshare in hand, we got a deal on the per person rate. I don't anticipate being disappointed at all - I don't know how I'll wait another 9 months!

Just one question - I tried to find info about what was *outside* of our balcony on Deck 6, but couldn't find anything conclusive. Does anyone know if there is a public walkway around the outside of the ship on Deck 6, or if there is anything obstructing our view? Also, can we expect lounge chairs (not just regular chairs) on the balcony?

Thanks in advance!

After our mediocre cruising experience last October (we were originally booked on the Enchantment, which was postponed, then cancelled, due to Hurrican Wilma - what bad timing we had!), we were anxious to finally go on a full-fledged cruise.

DH redeemed his frequent flyer miles for our tickets, so he agreed to splurge on a balcony stateroom on Freedom of the Seas (sailing in December, just before Christmas)! Plus, with my mom's timeshare in hand, we got a deal on the per person rate. I don't anticipate being disappointed at all - I don't know how I'll wait another 9 months!

Just one question - I tried to find info about what was *outside* of our balcony on Deck 6, but couldn't find anything conclusive. Does anyone know if there is a public walkway around the outside of the ship on Deck 6, or if there is anything obstructing our view? Also, can we expect lounge chairs (not just regular chairs) on the balcony?

Thanks in advance!

There will be nothing obstructing your view. Much like the Voyager class, the balcony will go all the way out to the edge of the ship. The "Walkway" around the ship is a deck below you. The Freedom is just an extended and widened version of the Voyager class. On the Voyager ships, the side facing balconies just have regular chairs. That being said, the balconies on Freedom, due to the extra width of the ship, are a bit larger than the voyager ships. They will most likely just have regular chairs, but you never know. They could have a lounge chair as well. I doubt it though.

Anyway, have a great cruise. We are going on Oct 1, 06. We are just as excited as you are.

Wow, I can't believe how active this forum is... I just posted yesterday, and already this thread is on the 3rd page!

Anyway - I have another question - is there anything ABOVE the balconies of Freedom's Deck 6? I've pictured my balcony to be open-air, meaning nothing but sky above me, but now that I think about it, there are probably other balconies stacked above me, huh? :(

Wow, I can't believe how active this forum is... I just posted yesterday, and already this thread is on the 3rd page!

Anyway - I have another question - is there anything ABOVE the balconies of Freedom's Deck 6? I've pictured my balcony to be open-air, meaning nothing but sky above me, but now that I think about it, there are probably other balconies stacked above me, huh? :(

You are correct. There will be a "roof" to your balcony.

There are none. Deck nine has all the deck 10 balconies above it, which is a suites deck. The only one's are possibly some higher aft balconies. Other than that, everything is going to have a roof above it. But trust me when I tell you that it won't hurt your view in anyway.

Nevermind...just looked at the photos, and even the aft balconies have a roof over them. Sorry, you are stuck with a roof, unless you sleep on the pool deck.

Thanks for your input... may I ask for a link to the photos that you're looking at?

You're right, my view out to the ocean won't be obstructed... I'll just have to manage my expectations. I'll have to stop picturing myself on my balcony with the open sky above me. Anyway, I'm glad that I found out now - I would've been REALLY disappointed if I realized we had a "roof" when we got into the room. haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived