Those that cruise with panic/ anxiety problems.

cnr1stcruise

Hello!

Well, I did it, I went on my 1st cruise. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. However, I do not think I will go again.

We went to a hotel the day before and I was a bit anxious, so I took a zanex. We boarded around noon. Did not have to wait too long. It was rather exciting looking around the ship while we were in port. The buffet food was fine. Our room was small, but we had an inside cabin, a quad. It served it's purpose. I was feeling ok the day of boarding. I had put the sea sick patch on. I did not take a Zanex this day. I had a hard time at dinner when the boat started to leave port. I was hungry and we dined by the windows. I had to ask our table to shut the curtains. That helped. We did go outside that night while it was light out to see what it was like to be on a ship while it was in the ocean. The other days were fine, we were in port every day so the ship was stable. I noticed the rocking of the ship at night, but was fine the first 3 nights. After day 2 the patch had turned my vision blurry. I guess that was a side effect. So I took it off and took Dramamine. By day 3 I could read again. That was a weird feeling. anyway on the way home from Ensenada the water was a bit choppy, so wouldn't you know it, I make it through the whole damn cruise without freaking out and only hours away from home I lose it! It was about 11:00pm and I just wanted to go to sleep. We were all snug in our beds and I was not feeling well. So I then became AFRAID that I would be sick, so in turn I had a panic attack and and made myself worse. I took a Zanex and within maybe 30 minutes I started to relax and was able to go to sleep, after I made my husband push his bed over next to mine. I woke up and we were in port. I could not wait to get off the ship. Am I glad I tried it? Yes I really am. I overcame a fear that I never thought I would do. Then immediately after that we drove into Beverly Hills to meet up with family and we ended up driving all over the place the next 2 days, thats something I do not like to do. I was not panicked at all. It was like it was no big deal to drive anywhere. I do not know if I will continue being able to go places with such ease, or if I will creep back into my old ways but for now I guess I am feeling a bit liberated. Now, would I do it again? No I would not. The food was great, the ports were fun, my family had a great time but I have no desire to cruise again.

Peter~ I really hope to hear from you soon. I hope you were able to enjoy your cruise and not clear tables!

P.S. our waiters were great and all in all, without having anything to compare the Monarch to I think it was great.

Oh, this is kind of funny, well actually gross, but listen. So we are at dinner the first night and my 7 yr old has to potty. So we go to the bathrooms. While we are in there a lady is throwing up! (in her own stall, just heard, did not see) So my little one looks at me with the funniest look. I started to laugh and said, its ok, she is just getting sick. Well, that actually totally freaked me out! I have a huge fear of throwing up, and to hear the lady! Geeze! That was not a great start to my first cruise! Sorry if that was too much info!:D

Dear Cindy,

Welcome home and congratulations on your successful trip on the high and mighty seas. I'm glad you were able to enjoy most of it -- that's about how my experience was.

Though we had our individual obstacles to overcome, I'd have to say we both did pretty well. I had a couple of days where some things went wrong, probably overreacted to them and became a bit anti-social, but thanks to a couple of good friends in my group, I was given a second chance at enjoying myself in the company of others -- and I did.

In fact, I was kind of surprised at the level of friendliness and camraderie that was present. Generally, I assume basically put up with me and that's that. But when I went missing for a bit, I found that they truly did enjoy my company and personality. I guess when the group of people you hang out with the most is at work in a busy place, you tend to forget what having a circle of real friends is like. But I was certainly reminded on the cruise.

The islands we visited were also gorgeous and the ship had plenty of entertainment and food to keep us content (though I didn't really eat that much -- well, at least I didn't gain 10 pounds as they you do...)

I'm so glad that you successfully completed your mission, and have some fun in the process. Again, thanks for sharing your experience and your words of encouragement. As I was reminded on board, sometimes it takes two people to encourage each other to help them through. Take care.

Sincerely,

Peter

I don't have panic attacks but I tend to be a bit claustrophobic. My advice to you would be to book a newer larger ship, these tend to be brighter and they all have atriums which have high ceilings that will make the ship feel more Open. Don't book the Celebrity Horizon or Zenith. Both these ships are great ships with great food, but they are older and have no atrium and the ceilings are low throughout.

I agree with the person who wrote you to wait a bit after the ship clears before going off on the islands. People tend to jam up in the halls then and it can be a little stressful. If you wait 45 minutes or so then disembark, you will find no line at all.

Once you are on the ship you will have an amazing time and forget about all your worries. The larger ships feel huge and are very very airy. There is plenty to do away from crowds if you like.

Honestly the only time i could see panic set in is when you are waiting to board the ship...that can be stressful with long lines and sometimes no place to sit etc..but if you make it through embarkation you are home free.

Just relax and think positively and you will have an amazing cruise..

Archived