Catacombs

CoolChange37

Good evening. Has anyone done the catacombs tour(s) in Rome?  There are so many to choose from various tour companies and looking for recommendation(s) from anyone that has done one and was it worth it?   Looking for something to do a couple of hours the afternoon the day we arrive (Sept 30).  TIA

I haven't done any of the tours, I have just done the catacombs on my own. I assume you're referring to the ones on the Via Appia?  (There are some others, such as the Capuchin catacombs....)

If you do a tour, I would suggest you look for one that includes other sites on the Via Appia (the ancient Appian Way, which was considered the "queen" of Roman roads). Because it was so well traveled and popular, Romans vied to have their tombs alongside the road. Many ancient Romans believed that keeping their name alive to future generations was important. 

Very near the three main catacombs that offer tours, you can actually walk along the ancient Appian Way (on the Roman-era basalt paving stones). You can also visit the very impressive and large tomb of Cecelia Metella, the daughter of one of the wealthiest families of ancient Republican Rome.

The catacombs have different closing days. If you want to visit on a Saturday (Sept 30), all three of the major catacombs are open:  St. Callixtus, St. Sebastian, and Domatilla. I have done all three, I would say that St. Sebastian and Domatilla were the most interesting. (St. Sebastian actually has two republican-era Roman tombs in addition to the Christian burials...)

Here's a website with good info on the three:   https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_commissions/archeo/inglese/documents/rc_com_archeo_doc_20011010_catacroma_en.html#Roma

This much is easy to do on your own, I can provide more specific directions if needed. The catacombs give tours at regular intervals during the day, you would just need to arrive and tell them you want to be on the next English tour. Note that they close at 5:00 or 5:30 depending on the time of year -- I suspect the last tours would be offered around 4pm.

Now if you find a tour that would take you to the catacombs and also to Aqueduct Park, that might be worth a tour -- Aqueduct Park is outstandingly photogenic, but would be a long walk with limited time. Local buses run there, but I have experienced long waits for them at times.

image.png.a7433689d0ff3f65f33ac56761473b34.png

Edited to add:  Here is another good website about visiting the Via Appia and all of the many sites there:  https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/appian_way.htm

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1