Just Off the Radiance (2-13 to 2-16)

kalmich

I just got off the 4-day Radiance cruise to Catalina and Ensenada.  Unfortunately we had terrible weather; it was cold and windy the first two days.  Because of this the itinerary was changed to Long Beach-Sea Day-Catalina-Ensenada-Long Beach.

The first day was the most fun - we had decent weather for the Sailaway deck party with music and dancing.  Alex is the cruise director these days - he was okay but not as good as Deon.  At least he wasn't on the loudspeaker constantly like some of them.  The excitement level went way down after that due to the cold weather.

I didn't do any excursions this trip.  I've done this same cruise a few times before and there's nothing new at either port that interested me.  I was hoping to have a relaxing time onboard while most of the passengers got off at the ports.  Seems like a lot of people had the same idea and things got a bit crowded indoors.

The Lido buffet was its usual pathetic selection of mystery casserole-type dishes.  Except for the dinners I ate at the Deli and Guy's burgers.  Both were really good.  I am getting a little tired of Carnival's main dining room menu.  Same old thing year after year.  I think I've tried everything on the menu at one time or another (except the Indian vegetarian) and it's just passable.  Hint:  avoid the Penne Mariscos.  I was up all night dealing with that.

Once we got to Ensenada we finally had some sunshine.  Even though it was like 60 degrees there were plenty of people in bathing suits and shorts at the pool.

One new thing:  Carnival now has drug-sniffing dogs at the Long Beach port.  

I do like the ship (and the crew is fantastic) but I don't think I'll be taking this particular cruise again soon.  At least not during February!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalmich said:

One new thing:  Carnival now has drug-sniffing dogs at the Long Beach port.  

If I were a pothead living in Long Beach, I would definitely be checking out the trash cans that are right before you get to the dogs. 😆

• Haha 4