Trieste to Mestre

Aka414

Our NCL ship will disembark in Trieste and we will stay 2 more days in Mestre post cruise.

We are a group of 8 people - what's the best way to travel from Trieste to Mestre?

I checked the Trenitalia website and apparently there's only ONE train departing Trieste at 17:05 (will arrive Mestre at 18:50) on Sept 4.

Any other options we might have so we could leave Trieste earlier?  Any info on private transfer?

Thanks.

Perhaps it's too early??  I read something on tripadvisor about a large schedule dump coming up on June 10.

I used the train last Sept from Mestre to Trieste.  We took a Frecci train and I recall there were at least 2 departures per hr to choose from. I booked the seats 5 weeks prior.  Business Class, about 15E. 

For the return trip we used Flixbus. We didn't have a reservation so it was about 20e. But advance tickets are less than 10e. 

The train and the bus were about the same time, about 2hrs.

Keep in mind that the train station is about a 20 minute walk to the pier, and the bus station is about a block away from the train station.  (There are cabs at the pier )

Another option recommended on tripadvisor is GoOpti.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aka414 said:

Our NCL ship will disembark in Trieste and we will stay 2 more days in Mestre post cruise.

We are a group of 8 people - what's the best way to travel from Trieste to Mestre?

I checked the Trenitalia website and apparently there's only ONE train departing Trieste at 17:05 (will arrive Mestre at 18:50) on Sept 4.

Any other options we might have so we could leave Trieste earlier?  Any info on private transfer?

Thanks.

Trains from Trieste to Venice Mestre (and beyond) run throughout the day--generally one an hour, if not more often at busy times.  The majority of these are standard Regionale Veloce trains; tickets are priced at a flat fee regardless of departure date/time, and do not need to be booked in advance.  The direct service takes just under two hours; there are several other trains which operate on a different line via Udine, and take around three hours (and cost a bit more).

Unfortunately, apparently there's only one Frecciarossa train per day--evidently the one and only train that showed up in your search.  I believe that Italo also operates one high-speed train per day.  In any case, on this route the "high-speed" train only gets you to Mestre about 12 or 15 minutes faster than the standard Regionale trains.

As mapleleaves says, it is likely that all the departures for your September date are not showing up in your search because the timetables have not yet been finalized.  However, if you do a search for a random date next week, for example, you will get a pretty good idea of the Trieste>Mestre trains that should be available in September.

• Like 1