Grand Voyage Luggage Direct question

CLOUDYTOWN

For those that have used the direct service in the past, is the tracking that the luggage service use (UPS/FEDEX) sufficient tracking?  Or do you also find the need to put the Apple Airtag in your luggage for additional tracking?

Luggage Direct is the service that takes your bag from the ship to your airline and you collect the bag at your home airport. 

Luggage Forward is the shipping service (UPS/FEDEX) that takes your bag from home to ship or ship to home. I have used Cunard's service several times and HAL's once, all international, and the tracking was the same as for any package--go to the website, enter your number, and see where your bag is.

This was before there were airtags, but I found the tracking sufficient. The first time I used a shipping service, it was Cunard's. I tracked the bag and saw that it sat in UK Customs for a few days. I was concerned, so I called DHL (the carrier Cunard White Star Service used at the time). They were very good about explaining the delay--basically, Customs looked at the date the bag had to be at the ship and if there was extra time, they didn't rush to get around to it. The day after I called, tracking showed the bag in Southampton, waiting for the ship with time to spare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Luggage Direct is the service that takes your bag from the ship to your airline and you collect the bag at your home airport. 

Luggage Forward is the shipping service (UPS/FEDEX) that takes your bag from home to ship or ship to home. I have used Cunard's service several times and HAL's once, all international, and the tracking was the same as for any package--go to the website, enter your number, and see where your bag is.

This was before there were airtags, but I found the tracking sufficient. The first time I used a shipping service, it was Cunard's. I tracked the bag and saw that it sat in UK Customs for a few days. I was concerned, so I called DHL (the carrier Cunard White Star Service used at the time). They were very good about explaining the delay--basically, Customs looked at the date the bag had to be at the ship and if there was extra time, they didn't rush to get around to it. The day after I called, tracking showed the bag in Southampton, waiting for the ship with time to spare.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I misspoke and Luggage Forward is what we will be using. Since ours goes into/out of Ft. Lauderdale. The carrier tracking should be sufficient, i believe.